Thread: Hello from central Texas

Hello from central Texas

I bought a '48 cj2a today. It's not in terrible shape, it's had what I call a "hobbyist" restoration (looks good in a picture). It was a sort of therapy project for gentleman with health issues. I've had it home only a few hours and have identified several repair jobs that need to be done though, nothing too major but tasks that need to be taken care of before I can enjoy driving it much.

Leaky master cylinder is number one; I'm switching it to the dual piston cylinder conversion, hope that it installs clean. Second is steering slop. The bellcrank jumps up and down, I ordered the repair kit... hope that's all it needs. Third is a persistent exhaust leak, poor little thing sounds like a tractor that left its muffler in the hay field. I took one stab at a quick fix today. I cut a head pipe gasket out of a sheet of soft copper; thought that might fix it as the tin foil and paper one was burned up pretty good. No luck... I guess I'll pull the manifolds and get a good look at what ails it. I kind of hate to though because the head pipe flange might be the problem. It's not too thick and looks like it could be bent. I noticed a flat spot on the pipe, perhaps someone jumped a stump. Maybe I ought to look at it a little closer first.

I'm looking forward to learning from you guys, it's been a good long while since I had an early Jeep. Twenty five years or more; I hardly know my way around one. Time to get re-schooled.

Welcome Oldscot3!

We look forward to seeing your progress. The dual master cylinder is a great upgrade to ensure that you always have some stopping power. Sounds like you've done your homework on your planned repairs.

'48 was a Good Year

Just look at one or two things at a time. I suggest that you get a Mechanics Manual for the little beast, it has all kinds of pictures that show just how things go together. We just had one gentleman who was fighting a clutch problem that turned out to be a reassembly issue that he had inherited from the previous shade tree mechanic.

Post us pictures - we read pictures better than we read writin'.

By the way, '48 was a good year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, I'll do it. I need to navigate around this forum and learn how the tools work. I thought I might try tp post a picture tonight.

PS... like your truck.

trying a pic48cj2a.jpg it may be too big

Looks great! Good looking 2A.

Cj 2a

Quote Originally Posted by oldscot3 View Post
    trying a pic48cj2a.jpg it may be too big
    It worked. Turn that sweet thing loose - it don't belong chained up on a trailer!

That's a nice start for sure. More pics!