Thread: 1953 truck engine problem

1953 truck engine problem

Hello, new owner of 1953 Willy’s pickup. Been in the family for years and my uncle has let it sit after it was cleaned up. The #3 piston is seized. Looks like it is from coolant getting in and rusting piston. I have used breaker bar to try and turn engine. I have used automatic trans fluid as well as we 40 rust penetration, no luck yet.

I am planning on draining oil and dropping pan to look for any metal.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

ATF and WD-40 are a good start, but it looks like you need a penetrating oil specifically intended to crawl into places that are locked up tightly.

There are lots of choices; use a lot of it and be as patient as you can. I'd drop the pan so you can get to the bottom of the engine, try to take off the rod caps and turn the crank so you can persuade the piston down a bit.

Let us know how it turns out.

D.BOOTH, I think that motor needs to come out. It has to be bored oversize. I can't see you getting anything done with it in the motor house. I would definitely disconnect it, and pull it out. As long as there are no cracks or, bad things it should rebuild. I would pull the oil pan on the engine stand. Your machine shop can get the piston out if you don't want to mess with it. Soaking is a great idea. ATF is good. KROIL is better. Kerosene mixed with ATF is good also. Lots of recipes out there. At this point none of them can hurt. Soak away. After you get the motor out, tear it down and leave that piston and rod in. After a good long soak use a 2x4 and a sledge hammer. Turn the motor so the piston is up and the rod hangs free and straight down. Put a big blanket down to catch the rod when it comes flying out. Placing the 2x4 on the piston top strike the 2x4. I think it will come out if it has been soaking. You do not want to damage anything. Though a sledge and 2x4 sounds neanderthalic, if you are careful it works most of the time. What you have on your hands is common on stranded motors!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-11-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks for the input guys! Dreading the engine pull but as the rust comes off I’m seeing damage(small knicks)inside the pistion chamber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a great truck! It is going to need a great motor. There is no question, it has to be bored.

The good news is that you seem to have a nice truck to work with.