Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 53 Pickup Axel Bearing Problem

53 Pickup Axel Bearing Problem

When I took my Willys pickup to the Threshing Bee and Car Show the back right hub was smoking and very hot to the touch. When I pulled the wheel and hub off I could see why. The last person to put the hub on inserted the axel shaft key too far and it worked like a mill and destroyed the axel shaft bearing, cup, outer grease retainer and the grease shield. (I swear it wasn't me) So I took everything apart and pulled the other hub. I have ordered new seals, bearings, cups and gaskets so I can replace everything with new stuff but I can't find the shim pack for the Timken rear differential and I can't find a replacement Grease Shield. I'm wondering how I get the correct end play without shims? Can anyone let me know where I can find a shim pack for a 53 Timken differential and a grease shield? Is there a shim pack out there that I can make work? I know that most people use the old grease shield but as you can see in the attached picture mine was smacked. Any advice will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you sure that is a Timken axle in there? That shim pack looks like the one used on the Dana's. We need LarrBeard to chime in here. He should be able to guide you.

That is a very unique axle. http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/timken.html

I'm in Florida with no books,but a lot of the auxiliary parts fit either Dana or Timken (seals, etc.). .

Onalaska53, if you want send me a PM, and I will USPS you a shim to see if it fits.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-13-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Photo's of differential

Bmorgil, no I'm not sure it's a Timken, I'm new to this. I just used diagrams to match the differential. Timken is the best guess I could come up with based on the year of my truck. I've attached a couple of pictures (left side and back) that I think makes it look like a 'clamshell' Timken differential.
    Let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No question, it's a Timken! You nailed it. I still think it's the same shim and seal package. It looks identical. LarryBeard would know for sure.

I found a company in AZ that had the Timken shim pack and used Grease Shields (also called Grease Protector). They also had a used passengers side axle for the Timken. I cleaned up the axle and grease shield and I'm good to go now.While I had the rear pulled apart I decided to replace the brake shoes and drums. When I was looking at the wheel cylinder I found a large chip missing under the cap so now those are being replaced along with all the springs and clips. It's a little more than I wanted to do but it'll be worth it when I'm done. Wahoo!!

Gotta keep em' rollin'!

Bob:

Look at the U-joints on his Timken axle... (first picture).

Holly smokes LarrBeard, that's it! onalaska53PU you may have solved a dilemma with that. LarrBeard is that original? You need that yoke! onalaska53PU, take a picture of the front of that Driveshaft where it goes in the transmission if you could. You may have something there to help the Willys PU world.