Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWII Jeep in a Box

WWII Jeep in a Box

You have heard the rumors. the US military had surplus WWII Jeeps in a box, for sale in the late 60's for $500 in Popular Mechanics Magazine. Here is a picture of the real deal!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-13-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Working at an Army Depot, there have been rumors from the old timers that back in the fifties, the army dug big holes and placed the crated Jeeps and covered them up. Although they do have a vast collection of WWII vehicles in a open building, the only example of a military Jeep is a M38A1.

In Europe, most non tactical vehicles were sold pennies on the dollar to the locals. There are homes around Normandy that where rebuilt after the invasion and we're sheathed with MB or GPW hoods that had been flattened out.

I would definitely not be able to resist putting that thing together! I am not sure if it would make it worth more or less?

Does anyone know where the "big holes" may be? What a find that would be. Fields of crated Jeeps! I wonder if they would be solid rust?

If it were to actually of happened, Uncle Sam would have probably of just stacked them in a hole and pushed clay over the top. Even if they were in a vault, the odds are that they would look like the time capsule Belvidere that was buried in Tulsa back in '57.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Belvedere

If I did find a NOS, New In Box Willys, it would become our new coffee table in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    If I did find a NOS, New In Box Willys, it would become our new coffee table in the living room.
    A truly BITCHIN' coffee table man! The definition of priceless.

Miss Belvedere's keys corroded in the ignition! great story.

There is a picture on line of a shipping crate of Mausers. The crate has a glass top so you can see Rifles nestled in their beds. The only thing better would be a crate of Garands or M14s.

Or an M2 ready to mount up still in the box!

To bore sight our remote weapons system, we would have to ride over to ordnance and sign out an M2. People look at you funny when you are cruising around post with a fully functional Browning resting between the two of us. Those were the fun days, now we have steel block simulators with a barrel welded to it. Looks good, but not the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-15-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Man...I sure would like me a Jeep in a box...before I end up in one.
    "Options are for girls"

I think we are running out of time! It looks like we are settling for the next best thing. Whatever we currently have and endear!