Thread: Generator to alternator swap

Generator to alternator swap

I want to swap out the generator from my '59 CJ5 to an alternator. Is there an alternator out there that bolts right on to the old bracket; and is there a specific regulator that I need as well? Engine is the stock F134. Thanks in advance for the input.

Odfireguy, if your looking for a "bolt in kit", there are a few out there. Here is the KW.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/nsearch...ternator%20kit

I've been thinking. Can the stock generator be turned into an alternator? I can't stand electric anything so I'm asking out of total ignorance.
    "Options are for girls"

Convert Generator to Alternstor

Quote Originally Posted by scoutingranch View Post
    I've been thinking. Can the stock generator be turned into an alternator? I can't stand electric anything so I'm asking out of total ignorance.
    I

Quick simple answer - No.

There is a discussion on this forum about using the "Generator" to charge a 12 volt system. Though you are not turning a generator into an alternator, you can use the generator to charge the 12 volt battery. A generator produces lots of voltage.Using a 12 volt regulator, you can regulate the voltage to 12 volts. This has definitely been done. You need to hook up a 12 Volt regulator. Google "converting generator from 6 volts to 12 volts".

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...=8563#post8563
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-18-2019 at 08:36 AM.

12 - Volt Conversion Options

When we talk about 12-volt conversions, we almost automatically think of an alternator as a power source, but the first 12-volt vehicles (about 1955 or so) were generator powered.

At this year’s Jeep festival, there was a gentleman with a beautiful little CJ -2A (?) that looked just about as original as it could be, until I spotted “12-VOLTS” on the sticker on the regulator. He had done a 12-volt conversion with a generator, but the generator kept the CJ looking original. The advantage of this approach is that it is a wire for wire change, no new wires, no rewiring – just keep track of where you disconnect the old wires.

I would suggest a 12-volt generator rather than trying to jury rig a 6-volt into a 12-volt regulator. The 12-volt field coils are different (smaller wire, higher resistance). The armature is fine-tuned as well. A typical Jeep 6-volt generator is rated at about 35-amps. Volts times amps gives about 210 watts out of the generator. If we just jury rig the generator, at 12-volts we get up to 210 watts at about 17 amps of current – not a lot of charging and load capacity. Now we know that 210 watts is not a drop dead number, but pushing that rating just isn’t a good idea.

You’re probably not going to need a lot of extra amps from your conversion – no BoomBoxBigBass stereo or racks of halogen lights, so a generator would serve you well. But, if you want lots of high amp accessories – the alternator is the way to go.

Then, there is an exotic product called a Gener-Nator which I ran across poking around on this thread. I’ve never heard of it before and I expect it’s not cheap.

On LarrBeard's note, there are sources that will "convert" your 6 volt generator to 12 volts. They rewind the armature and change the field coils. One thing to remember, generators aren't known for their low RPM output. If the motor does a lot of idling, better hope the lights aren't on! I fabricated a custom mount that uses the original block mounting location and belt, for a one wire GM 10SI Alternator. I love it. It is not original. It didn't seem to mater to anyone looking it over. When I show the Willys, I advertise the 12 volt system as a modern "upgrade". The battery is the same size as the original and fits in the original tray and hold down. The starter is the original rebuilt 6 volt. I have a USB/12v power tap charge port hidden up under the dash. If I should need a jump, everybody's vehicle is 12 volts.

If you are a purist, keep it 6 volts. It is cool to have a working 6 volt system. If mine hadn't been so badly hacked and cannibalized, I would have kept it 6 volts. But 12 volt conversions do have their good points.
    Attached Images Attached Images