Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1957 Willys Truck, Trabuco Canyon CA.

1957 Willys Truck, Trabuco Canyon CA.

Hello ,

I pulled this truck out of a field just south of Yosemite almost 8 yrs ago. We decided a complete frame off restoration was best and were getting close. The motor and transmission were rebuilt and I did add an overdrive hoping to be able to drive on the freeway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's somewhere between a '53 and '60. Looks nice!

It looks like the L-head 6-226 "Super Hurricane" engine.

You've still got a ways to go, but it is looking good.

Looking great! Overdrive would be a good start to squeezing a little more speed, but will be happy to cruise around 55 MPH with the overdrive.

21 Window bus?
    "Options are for girls"

HaHa! The first thing I saw was the nice restore project on that truck. 1957 stands as my favorite year for all vehicles. Then I saw the VW! OMG that brings back some serious memories. I had a 1957 11 window in the late 70's my first experience with 6 volts and the need to keep it up. 45 horsepower!

Man that truck is looking good! There are some very nice trucks on this forum. You have certainly added another. Check out LarrBeard's photo album.

YA I know, it shadows my truck. My brother in law has a few of them. His oldest is a 1950

Is that the best I can Expect ? Going to be a long drive out to Moab , Utah next year.

The gear ratio will play a big part in your overall road speed. Heeps were designed to utilize the low horsepower and torque through the gearing. The overdrive is good for a 25% increase in ratio. On the four cylinders, 45 mph is a comfortable cruise rpm for the engine. You can burst to 55mph for short distances, but rod bearing damage will result. A six cylinder can handle a bit more revs, but still you are limited to 60 mph tops.

Speed and Gearing

Quote Originally Posted by David Kramer View Post
    Is that the best I can Expect ? Going to be a long drive out to Moab , Utah next year.
    The L/F-134 4-cylinder engines have a torque curve that peaks at about 2200 RPM. This sets the happy place for cruise at about 45 MPH. That engine has a fairly steep peak, and below 2200 RPM, the response is peppy – well at least for a Jeep. You push on the accelerator and the vehicle responds.

When you get above 45 MPH and get on the back side of the torque curve, response is a lot less noticeable. The 3200 pound truck says “You want me to do what?” You can push it to a little above 50 MPH, but it is screaming and you kind of feel guilty pushing it that hard.

When I tell the story about the '48, my line is; "It will pull a train, just not very fast...". When I've told folks it has a 5.38 rear end at least one or two have asked me; "You mean 3.58 don't you?" ...

I looked at the specs for the 6-226 Super Hurricane and I was surprised to see that the early engines had a torque curve peak at 1800 RPM. If you have the 5.38 rear end, the happy cruise may well be a little below 45 MPH. I can’t find an actual plot of the curve – but I would not be surprised if it had a flatter top end than the 4-cylinder engine and it might allow itself to be pushed a bit more.

I’ve not driven or ridden behind a 6-226, so it may feel a lot different than the L/F-134. You can be our expert!

Don't cut your truck short. I'm around my buds old VW's quite a bit. They do bugs and transporters (nothing newer than '67).
    Your truck checks the cool boxes just as much as vintage German steel.
    "Options are for girls"