Quote Originally Posted by David Kramer View Post
Is that the best I can Expect ? Going to be a long drive out to Moab , Utah next year.
The L/F-134 4-cylinder engines have a torque curve that peaks at about 2200 RPM. This sets the happy place for cruise at about 45 MPH. That engine has a fairly steep peak, and below 2200 RPM, the response is peppy – well at least for a Jeep. You push on the accelerator and the vehicle responds.

When you get above 45 MPH and get on the back side of the torque curve, response is a lot less noticeable. The 3200 pound truck says “You want me to do what?” You can push it to a little above 50 MPH, but it is screaming and you kind of feel guilty pushing it that hard.

When I tell the story about the '48, my line is; "It will pull a train, just not very fast...". When I've told folks it has a 5.38 rear end at least one or two have asked me; "You mean 3.58 don't you?" ...

I looked at the specs for the 6-226 Super Hurricane and I was surprised to see that the early engines had a torque curve peak at 1800 RPM. If you have the 5.38 rear end, the happy cruise may well be a little below 45 MPH. I can’t find an actual plot of the curve – but I would not be surprised if it had a flatter top end than the 4-cylinder engine and it might allow itself to be pushed a bit more.

I’ve not driven or ridden behind a 6-226, so it may feel a lot different than the L/F-134. You can be our expert!