Thread: Loose lug nuts

Loose lug nuts

In the last 4 months I’ve ruined 2 rims due to lugs loosing up. Has anyone experienced this and if so what is the fix?
    1951 Willy’s jeepster
    Kinks44

Are the rims the stock steel?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Are the rims the stock steel?
    As far as I know they are. The latest one was brand new. Both were the same locations (R F). I’m now looking at lugs and nuts. Any other advice would be appreciated.

If the lug nuts are old the chances are the shoulder (angled part) is worn out. When that happens a nice even pressure on the wheel from the lug nut is lost. Those items are cheap and the first thing I replaced as the angled sections were going past the hole and the nut was bottoming out on top part of the nut where the socket is used to tighten. Dang, that make sense?
    And, as mentioned, the lugs could be shot. This stuff is old and many times needs replacing.

Kinks...Lola, ahhh, them were the days.
    "Options are for girls"

If the lug nuts are OK, It is possible someone replaced the studs and didn't get them seated all the way. Are you using a torque wrench? Make sure you actually torque the nuts to spec. There are two reasons. The most important is if the stud nut combination is stripping or over-stressed, it will not come up to torque. This lets you know its time to replace them or loose the wheel. The second reason is to insure you are drawing the stud into the hub and stretching the whole assembly. I know no one uses a torque wrench on the lug nuts but me, however you need to check the system once and awhile. If they come to torque and still keep coming loose, I bet the studs are not seated. If that's the case eventually they will stop coming loose as you draw them in.

Kinks44 are the RF studs left handed threads?
    If they are left handed on the right side they will have a tendency to loosen up driving the vehicle.
    I had a half ton ford pick up and the left side had right handed thread studs and they were constantly working themselves loose until I put left handed thread studs and lug nuts in on the left side and right handed on the right side.
    Sounds crazy but they will work themselves loose if they are not good wheels and good lug nuts.
    Or........ it could very well be what bmorgil is saying the studs are not seated in enough or......the shoulder part of the stud could be to long and the lug nut could be bottoming out on the shoulder part of the stud before it gets the wheel tight against the hub making it feel like it's tight but the wheel isn't actually tight against the hub, if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by TJones; 11-08-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Yes sir that’s what it was. The hub on the right was L thread, and the hub on the Left was R threads. Also the shoulders in the hub were a bit to long. Just in case I left the hub caps off and will check the lugs frequently. Thanks for your feedback.