Thread: using a tow bar,,,,

using a tow bar,,,,

I want to tow my Jeep but not sure if I need to disconnect the Driveline or not. And I heard something about putting the transfer case into neutral if you don't disconnect the Driveline. So is there like a limit that you would tow your Jeep without disconnecting the Driveline 50 miles a hundred miles? I'm talking about my 54 Willys cj3b to be specific if that helps thanks.

I've spent some time this morning trying to find an article that I had come across on converting the rear axle to accepting a lock out hub. I know it's out there in space, and will continue to look for it. It was in Four Wheeler magazine some years back. This would be ideal for flat towing because none of the drive train will turn outside of the outer wheel bearings. The axles and drive line will not turn.... Just remember to lock the hubs back in before unhooking from the tow rig, because the Jeep will not stay where put even in gear.

If you are going to flat tow without rear lock outs, do put the transfer case in neutral. The rear axle and driveline will turn, but the transfer case will not. This will reduce some of the rolling resistance.

The next important thing to remember, if you are flat towing, you really need to use a vehicle that is heavier then what you are pulling. Bad things happen when the tow rig is lighter then the Jeep, and things can get really uncomfortable if they both are the same weight.

I just need to tow it about 100 miles round trip to the DMV. Tow vehicles a 1 ton dually no problem. Thanks for your help

You won't have any issues. Just check all your differentials for oil, shoot a little grease in the axle bearing zerks, and stop to check hub temperatures from time to time. All will be OK.

eWillys.com owner David Eighlers took his DJ3 to Alaska via tow bar to start off on the ALCAN highway. The Jeep was a little more then problematic, so it spent more time being towed then driving. Here is an exert of the story.

http://www.ewillys.com/2017/07/22/pa...ives-in-pasco/
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-07-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Everyone always nice to talk to people here.

Grouser, I agree with gmwillys, no big deal. I will say however, the best way would be to pull the front and rear driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Grouser, I agree with gmwillys, no big deal. I will say however, the best way would be to pull the front and rear driveshaft.
    with locking hubs there's no reason to pull the front one is there?. But I knew the answer on the back one I was hoping someone would help me be lazy ...... I'll disconnect the rear one for sure. Thanks