Thread: 1963 Willy’s

1963 Willy’s

Hello everyone,

I am Kevin and live just south of Indianapolis, IN. I was fortunate enough to acquire a 63 Willy’s with a Kelly hard top a few weeks ago since my wife let me know she planned to buy me one in 3 years for my 50th birthday. We found one we thought was too good of an offer to pass up. No big plans right away. Going into storage for winter. It is originally a cj5 that previous owner twice removed had painted to look like military version. I am a 26 year veteran of the Air Force and have a long military history on my dads side of the family. Will probably keep the military paint and focus on fixing the small things that need done. I am not a mechanic but not afraid to get dirty and know how to read wiring diagrams and schematics. I look forward to getting advice from fellow owners on where and how to take care of my Willy.

Welcome Kev1963,

Thank you for your service!

Great looking CJ5! We look forward to helping out on your journey.

"Into storage for the winter". I don't understand...oh' wait, does this mean snow and cold temps? Now I get it. Welcome and nice CJ

We Army Medics were always in a bad mood when on leave as the Air Force guys always had girls with them downtown San Antonio. And who did we have? Knuckleheads, that's who, each other...knuckleheads
    "Options are for girls"

Welcome and thank you for your service! It is starting to snow here in Northern Ohio. I understand "down for the winter". My son and his friends are just getting their Jeeps out, I am stashing mine away!

Kevin:

Welcome to the forum. The 63 looks to be in great shape (at least compared to where a lot of our projects start out).

I wouldn't put it too deep into winter storage - with the hard top it needs to go out and play on bright sunny days with dry roads. Just sitting all winter is about the worst thing to do to it. But, keep it off the wet sloppy salty roads - really bad JuJu that brings out the metal cooties.

(As you see, we use really technical terms here).

You will fix a few small things, then find something that needs to be looked at, then there will be something else ...

Welcome to Jeeps!

And, Thank You for your Service. Go out and get a free lunch today.

My son and his friends are just getting their Jeeps out, I am stashing mine away!

That is the difference between young and enthusiastic and Old and Wise. Dominic and the guys thing it's fun to get stuck, then pull each other out and tell stories about it later.

We Older and Wiser guys don't want to get our toys dirty ...