Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Another Heep project

Now that's a Great Story Buddy, that's why I told them to put it together I am not trying to win the Baja 500

Getting a Motor Built

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    Now that's a Great Story Buddy, that's why I told them to put it together I am not trying to win the Baja 500
    Ya' know, we would gripe if they hung us with a new rope.

Your last engine was put together with bits, pieces, parts and scraps off of the floor.

Now, the guy is trying to do a really high class job on it.

We need 'good enough' but 'not that good'.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Ya' know, we would gripe if they hung us with a new rope.

Your last engine was put together with bits, pieces, parts and scraps off of the floor.

Now, the guy is trying to do a really high class job on it.

We need 'good enough' but 'not that good'.
    I have to agree with you LarrBeard. What the heck you guy's! I hang my head. gmwillys published he threw a mouse together and it won the race. Racing engine builders are not supposed to give away the secrets!

Now I don't know where gm was racin' but that motor hmmm.... All that trash talk said 8 onces is a ton you all! I have to agree that in a 200 miler balls out race it will go, and you proved it! However the balancing of an engine is more about how long she'll last as opposed to how much power she will make!

Now gm the 305 head. That had 184 intake valve and a 150 exhaust. The double humper' on the other hand had a 195 intake vale and a 173 exhaust (and you knew this when you did it). Now if you set it up right, you could have the roughness from the different power on each side balanced out by the roughness from the unbalanced rotating assembly!

I gotta tell you I remember sticking one of the first roller cams in a stock rod unbalanced 60 over 350. I was not as lucky as gm. At the traps there were parts everywhere! A data point was created. A small block Chevy will shed its pistons at 7125 rpm.

If your flywheel is balanced ON ITS OWN to zero, then all you need them to do is INTERNALLY balance the rotating assembly. If this is a good shop they should immediately know they simply need to drive a few Mallory slugs into the crank throws. I know what gm is telling you, and believe me a lot of motors are running around with huge imbalance right from the factory. But isn't this your Baby? 8oz out? No way I would put it together. .8 (point 8) grams maybe. I shoot for less than 1 gram. Any good shop should shoot for under 5 grams at least. I swear I can hear a distinct hum from a well balanced motor.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-16-2019 at 07:19 PM.

The Jeep was delivered home this evening. The owner was happy with his ride quality, now that the rear spring hanger bushings aren't moving around within the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bet they are happy with that! Nice work gm!

Thank you Sir.

As a continuation to the engine balance conversation. Here are a few photos of some of the demolition derby cars that I had put together. The engines were set up to be loose so when the water boils out or a radiator hose blows off, it will continue to run. I ran mostly Chryslers because they were cheap and plentiful. The pickup had a "bullet proof" 360 engine that came from a '76 New Yorker highway patrol cop car. The '68 New Yorker had a motor home 440. Both were stout runners, but that was the 440's last run because the 1/2" boiler plate that made up the front engine mount bowed forward 3" from the momentum of several full throttle front enders. The mount ears all broke off the block deep enough to cause a couple of oil leaks.

The dirt track cars were in the sportsman class on a 3/8 mile and a 1/2 mile dirt track. We had a friend who was a retired machinist for GM's R&D department. He was a wealth of knowledge, and he would provide us with set ups that he had come up. His big thing was low buck in places where you didn't need to spend it by utilizing endless supplies of junk yard components, but putting money into the top ends. We would spend the winters tearing down donor engines and combing junkyards for target master remanufactured engines, while picking up bucket loads of stock cast connecting rods. The target masters had thicker castings and could stand to be bored more than a stock block. The connecting rods he would measure each one, and usually out of a pile of 40 or so, he would find a set of 8 that were all the exact same length. His proven, (at least through our experience) that there was nothing wrong in using stock con rods, as long as they were sound. During the years that he was around, we never had an engine failure due to the rotating assembly. We burned one down by running a duel fuel set up on alcohol, and had it too lean, but that was all on us. Since we had a good engine program, we focused most of our time on set ups. All the horsepower in the world will not get you anywhere if you can't grip the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boy your repair turned VERY Nice gm! You probably got a Big Atta Boy.

I bet the Derby Days were a riot.... Never got into it much, but I did kinda in my teen years so to speak when I thought we could stay out all night drinking "hell yes ocifer I was drinking and I thought I was too drunk to walk home so I drove" Back in those days they used to take you home but not anymore plus I am getting to old and it takes tooooo long to heal up after an all nighter.

Keep up the Good Work gm, I may have to ship my Heep to Alabama

They were fun. The '68 shown was classified as an open mind. The rules were few, three mater of fact. 1. Driver had to wear a helmet, 2. Had to have a functional seat belt, and 3. Have a functional/charged fire extinguisher. Anything else was wide open. The car weighed 8,200 lbs with the interior being lined with 1/4" boiler plate, and well casing through the body from stem to stern. The frame connectors were 4" I beams. It was a fun ride.

Bring it on, or I have been known to make shop calls.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-19-2019 at 07:46 PM.

I remember back in the 60's when they would show demolition derbies on the Wide World of Sports.

Funny. You guys are the ones I was afraid to hang around with. Demolition derby, 3 rules, what's not to love!