Thread: The smart way?

The smart way?

Have the windshield frame off the cj3, it had no glass. I want to remove the wiper motor but the aluminum cap for the wiper arm on the end stops me. Is there a smart way to remove it? I don't see replacements in the catalog so I'm looking for smarter people than me for the answer.
    "Options are for girls"

Can you take a picture of the Aluminum cap?

I am sure I didn't write it by the correct name. It's the splined end the wiper arm slides on to. I don't want to ruin it if there are none available. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scoutingranch; 11-17-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    "Options are for girls"

That just looks strange. There is a splined shaft on the motor the wiper arm slides on and then there is a Brass Acorn Nut that secures the arm. It almost looks like the original nut is completely rounded off, or there is part of the old wiper arm stuck on the shaft.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This calls for more investigation. Thanks B
    "Options are for girls"

The aluminum piece is an adapter for a "universal" type wiper. There was usually a set screw that bound them to the shaft, but I see no evidence of it being there. The adapter was for when the original shaft wouldn't grip the original style wiper. This was a Western Auto special help section type fix. Looks to have been on there for years. You can purchase new aluminum pieces with the set screw from Speedway motors on line. Split the old one with a die grinder to see if the shaft is usable underneath, or at least good enough for a core, if you are going to send it off for repair. If you are going to do the rebuild, then you may be able to salvage the shaft.

gmwillys nice catch!

So you remember adapters from Western Auto? I was riding my 5 speed Schwinn crate racer to the ice cream store right next door to the Western Auto when, it closed down! I think it was 1965. Ha ha, ribbing ya... fun fact... Western Auto eventually became Advance Auto parts.

The legacy of Western Auto lived on, (albeit a more mainstream-pre Auto Zone craptacular junk) well into the '90s. Much like the Pep Boys is today. Somewhere in the bottom of one of my tool boxes is a gear dope stained Darrel Waltrip #17 Western Auto tee shirt.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-19-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Got it. Thanks lads, I'll get to cuttin' with the Dremel. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing with something I shouldn't. But the reality is that motor wouldn't come off without removing the end piece.
    "Options are for girls"

You can get an adapter for a worn spline piece from Western auto? Who knew? Hay Siri... Okay Google... Alexa... Oh wait, don't have any of those!