Thread: 52 CJ#A t90 rebuild

Hybrid View

52 CJ#A t90 rebuild

I am currently re painting and fixing a few things on my jeep. All body parts are off so its a rolling frame. I am going to rebuild the transfer case as it was having some issues. However, the transmission worked as should. Should i go ahead and rebuild it to since its the best time to do it? Im not sure I want to rebuild it myself and didnt know if there were any good rebuilders out there to do it.

You are at the decision point where just about every one of us has been.

Now that I have it apart, should I fix something that doesn't really scream for attention - or wait and see if it breaks and then go back and fix it?

First of all, that transmission isn't that complicated for a good tranny shop - there should be a couple down there that won't throw up their hands at it. Second of all, it will never be easier to get to than it is right now.

If you are a a save every dollar mode - change the lube and leave it alone. If you are not in a dollar crisis - have it looked at. It probably needs seals at the least ...

Quote Originally Posted by Evansville View Post
    I am currently re painting and fixing a few things on my jeep. All body parts are off so its a rolling frame. I am going to rebuild the transfer case as it was having some issues. However, the transmission worked as should. Should i go ahead and rebuild it to since its the best time to do it? Im not sure I want to rebuild it myself and didnt know if there were any good rebuilders out there to do it.
    Your going to rebuild the transfer case yourself? If you are capable of that you won't have trouble with the trans. The service manual is very good. The internet does have a couple of errors I have found. If you stick to the service manual, you won't have trouble. The team here can get you through any questions.

If you were driving around and it shifted fine and didn't leak and spit out of gear, run it. If your doing a restore, restore it. I think a lube change is in order. If you find any water or big pieces, rebuild it.