Thread: What battery????

Hybrid View

What battery????

12v battery is starting to give out on my 1946 CJ. Currently has a Bosch S5001 on it which fits and gives 52Ah. It looks rubbish, as it is white plastic. Struggling to find a traditional black battery that fits on the batt, tray and gives enough grunt. Do I need to extend the length of the tray or is there another option. I seem to have 232mm of length available between the J hooks and most powerful modern 12V need about 270mm.
    How much starting power does the 2.2 Go Devil need? It is the uprated post war L134 with the reinforced head.
    Help!

Here is a chart to get you into the correct group size. I think you are looking for a group 22R battery. In my CJ3A I have a Deka that fit perfectly in the original mount. I am pretty sure it is a Group 22R. Any way go to this link and download the Deka Specifications Sheet from the Resources and Downloads tab. The dimensions for all the batteries are there.

https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/

As far as starting power it needs very little. Any 12V battery that fits in the mount should be plenty.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-18-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktopboy0 View Post
    How much starting power does the 2.2 Go Devil need? It is the uprated post war L134 with the reinforced head.
    Help!
    It doesn't take a lot of foot-pounds of torque to turn it over, remember that engine "could" be hand cranked - but not many were. Total amp-hour capacity isn't all that critical as long as the cranking amp capacity is there. That is a function of the new 12-volt starter ...