Thread: 51 oil filter

51 oil filter

This oil filter came off the l-head I am restoring. It does not have the bands that I see in all the pictures. Is this a typical one? Will it mount to the standard bracket that KW sells? And how the heck does the element come out? It just spins and wiggles but won’t pull out.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are a few types of filters on the early Willys. You have the style that bolts directly to the bracket on the motor. The most available one seems to be the one with the bands. The lower front corner of my filter was cut off by the previous owner. Usually there are 4 bolts holding it to the bracket. The bracket is bolted to the motor under the head stud nuts.

You have a Fram. It takes a NAPA 1010 element or a WIX 51010. It should bolt to the KW bracket. The filter pulls out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-23-2019 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer the questions

Bob, you are an invaluable source of Jeep knowledge. I appreciate your prompt response. I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I continue to learn. Thanks again
    Tom

Tom, thanks for the plug, you are welcome. You have little choice as you go through these old rigs, than to become well versed. Everything is an inquisitive experience that's for sure. It's a lot of fun! This forum was a lot of help for me.

Stuck Filter

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The filter pulls out.
    As you will find out - lots of things that come apart will have to be "persuaded" - start with the smallest hammer and work up...