Thread: 1957 cj-5

1957 cj-5

I am cleaning up the front differential for painting and noticed a hole in the top of the axle tube. I am wondering what it is for. Is it a vent? Maybe something broke off. Any ideas? I know there is a vent on the main housing.

It is probably for a vent. Send a pic.

Well, actually the hole is toward the rear, not the top. I stuck a wire in and it came out with a little grease on it. On another note, I started to put the brake shoes on the backing plate and they wouldn't fit. Looked at the old shoes and they have large holes at the bottom for the cam adjuster to go through. It seems some things got swapped out over the years and I have the older style, previous to the CJ-shoes if not the whole axle. I think everything is the same except for the backing plate and shoes.

If it is on the side of the tube, it is probably for the brake line tee bolt.

I will see if a bolt will thread into that hole. It looks like there is an insert in there.

Picture okiemark.

You are exactly right. For the brake line tee. I get to taking stuff apart and forget exactly what I just did. I would have figured it out I guess. Thanks.