Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Jeep

Value of a Jeep

My cousin is doing a little work on what I believe is a M38-A. He is doing it for a woman whose husband died a couple of years ago and it was his jeep. Before I ever knew I was going to be a Jeep "guy" I asked him what she wanted for it as she is going to sell it and he said $10,000. I haven't seen it but was told it was in really good shape. Not that I am wanting to buy it, I was wondering what the value of it might be. I think it is all authentic. I believe it is a 52 year model. I'm wanting to go see it My cousin only lives 2 miles away but he is in the hospital for a bypass.

$10,000 can be an alright price for an all original A1. Condition and originally will be the determining factor. Check eWillys.com for some prices across the country, and various conditions.
    Hope all goes well with your cousin.

Thanks. With what I'm doing on the one I've got, I'm thinking I should have bought it. Ha.

Originality of M38A1

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    My cousin is doing a little work on what I believe is a M38-A. He is doing it for a woman whose husband died a couple of years ago and it was his jeep. Before I ever knew I was going to be a Jeep "guy" I asked him what she wanted for it as she is going to sell it and he said $10,000. I haven't seen it but was told it was in really good shape. Not that I am wanting to buy it, I was wondering what the value of it might be. I think it is all authentic. I believe it is a 52 year model. I'm wanting to go see it My cousin only lives 2 miles away but he is in the hospital for a bypass.
    A 1952 M38A1 would be an early production vehicle, but nailing down those details takes research on nameplate data and serial numbers. One of the most often modified areas of the M38A1 is the electrical system. Folks tend to make 12-volt conversions because of the expense and difficulty of maintaining the 24-volt system. Look for original 24-volt generator, charging/auxiliary plug and the harnesses for the radio gear in the back seat area.

Mechanical and body condition is important of course - but mechanical work is often easier to do than body work.

Look it over - and buy the vehicle, not the story that goes with it.

Thanks. I don't think I'm buying it but I might help them sell it.

veterans day.jpg

99% restored 1952 M38A1, oriiginal 24volt and all systems 100% operational only thing missing is back seat and canvas

IN MY "get a title mode " had to get two independent appraisals, went to jeep dealer, and they drove it, and inspected it and came up with 15K, then went to a chevy place and they had two jeeps on lot, and again did the inspection thing and drove it. they came up with 17.5K

i went to a local auto repair and just pulled in and some guy pulled up to me and asked what year and i told him, he said 'I WILL GIVE YOU 20K FOR IT RIGHT NOW" was that for real? beats me
    but thee state at dmv and county used the 17.5k for taxes
    pays your money and takes your chances

I'm going to look at it when I get a chance. The one I bought I have the title the last guy signed in about 1990. I think that's the last year it was tagged. Here they go by original list price and I can probably farm tag it for $30 or so. Getting the back years brought up is a different story. I had an old truck that I bought and put in the barn and didn't get it out for about 25 years and it cost me around $300 to bring it up. They said that was actually cheaper than if I had tagged it every year.

Hey, maybe you should have tagged it before you did all that work on it!!

Early Jeeps are like early FJ40's and the earliest Broncos. Prices are all over the map.
    "Options are for girls"

Don't forget the early IH Scouts.