Thread: 6V vs. 12V

6V vs. 12V

My electrical system is 6V. I see conversion kits for 12V. However, I would like to keep it at 6V. Anyone have any experience in reworking 1944 MB generators? Is it worth it or should I convert?

Reworking MB Generator

Quote Originally Posted by RickM1957 View Post
    My electrical system is 6V. I see conversion kits for 12V. However, I would like to keep it at 6V. Anyone have any experience in reworking 1944 MB generators? Is it worth it or should I convert?
    The MB generator is not especially complicated. You might need to turn down the commutator and cut out high mica. Brushes, bearings/bushings are the major wear items. A good auto electric shop with an old guy in back should be able to overhaul it.

Here is a bit of info on old Jeep Generators:

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...n-Introduction

Keep it 6 volt in my opinion. Our '46 is still 6 volt, and I have no plans on ever changing it to 12.

There are a few good post related to this in this Forum. I have converted my 6volt CJ to 12volt. Having said that, the only reason I did that was because every piece of the original 6volt system had been removed or destroyed. If you are keeping it original, the 6volt systems is as original as it gets. It works fine for what the Jeep needs to stay alive. I do enjoy the fact that I now have a 12volt system and I can utilize 12volt connections. If I should ever need a jump it wont be a problem. I have a 12volt power tap hidden under the dash to charge and run 12volt devices (nice at the show when the cell phone dies or the game is on). I did disguise mine fairly well. It is wired almost identically to the original, just 12volts.

Thank you!

I very much appreciate the info.

Great article. It was very helpful. Thank you.