Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Willys Jeep owner

Dougl it is pretty simple to take out, just loosen the 7/8 nut and pull it off and the pencil gear will pull right out so you can look at it and you’ll be able to see which cable end you have. You may loose a little oil out of your transfer case because the fill level and the 7/8 nut are the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    Dougl it is pretty simple to take out, just loosen the 7/8 nut and pull it off and the pencil gear will pull right out so you can look at it and you’ll be able to see which cable end you have. You may loose a little oil out of your transfer case because the fill level and the 7/8 nut are the same level.
    Thanks TJ - if I don't have the correct pencil gear, do you where I can purchase the correct one?

We’ll find you one I’m sure, I’ll start looking around!!!
    Worse comes to worse you could always drill the one you have and cut a slot in it to make it work.

Here you go dougl

F16D5AD1-D7F0-42A1-A92D-70A48220492E.jpg

It’s on eBay

Doug, the speedometer driven gear (pencil gear) is unique to the sleeve it fits into. I am pretty sure there are 2 different waterproof sleeve/driven gear combinations out there. One long and one short.

Buy them as a set. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Willys...-/183334433006

If you go to a civilian set up, also buy them as a set.

I am not convinced anything is wrong with yours yet. I think the issue might be in getting the cable to line up. I like the idea of pulling it out and taking a look if it just wont go. Don't force it. If it wont go in easily, take a look for sure. Send us some pictures Doug.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-28-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Here are some pics of the gear...the more I think about it, I'm beginning to wonder if the actual speedo head isn't somehow bad.
    fullsizeoutput_2525.jpgfullsizeoutput_251f.jpgfullsizeoutput_2528.jpg
    Last edited by DougL; 12-28-2019 at 12:21 PM.

That is the standard square cable drive set up. You have the wrong end on the cable there that is for sure.

One thing, both cables should fit into the back of the speedometer. As far as I can find the only thing unique on the military is the waterproof drive. The speedometer end appears to be the same. It seems like a standard CJ3B cable should do the trick. If it wont go into the back of the speedometer it is possible there is an issue there. It is not uncommon for the cable to break off inside the speedometer. The broken piece can be very difficult to get out. If it's in there you wont be able to insert the cable.

Doug, don't buy one..
    I have exactly what you need then, I ordered my speedometer from "Southwest Speed" and they sent me a cable with the speedometer by accident and when I called them they said keep it you may need it one day, and the day has come.
    Here is what I have

IMG_1477.jpgIMG_1478.jpg

Just send me a private message with your contact info. and I will ship it to you.
    Last edited by TJones; 12-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks TJ, but I have both speedo cables (1 just like yours) - there’s no reason why one of my cables shouldn’t work (Military version needs the correct pencil gear). I took the speedometer out and I believe it’s the problem.