Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Willys Jeep owner

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    I think, at least, you have a case to get your money back on the voltage regulator.
    Yes, I'll be getting a refund for that debacle.

I originally had the "civilian" speedO cable and that didn't work with the head unit. It was Kaiser who sold me the "military" version and this is cable that has the "little lip" you mentioned. I've looked into the transfer case and slid a flathead screwdriver into the hole and felt no slot. Mike from Kaiser is researching this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    DougL;

I had to buy a different speedo cable as well, the little lip on the end slides in a slot on the transfer case pin to drive the speedometer. If you need one that is square on both ends, I have one that I bought that didn't work.
    If you slide the cable in the transfer case and turn the speedometer end it may line up and slip in the slot, it is a little bit of a Bi&^h to look up in there and see the slot but its there.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    TJ are you saying the driven gear (pencil gear) in the transfer case had a slot in it? I have not seen that. All the ones I have seen took a square drive cable. Interesting.
    No, the "pencil gear" doesn't have the slot and will not match up with the "military" speedO cable I now have.

I am not aware of any type of pencil gear on a Dana 18 other than the square female cable drive. I am wondering if you should take a 7/8" deep socket and pull the pencil gear out and take a look.

I will post a picture of mine later, as soon as I get my last minute Christmas shopping done!!!!

Here is what is in my Dana 18 for speedO drive and cable

IMG_1428.jpgIMG_1429.jpgIMG_1430.jpg

TJ, that is a waterproof speedo setup. I have never seen one on the 18 but, I am reading the M38A1 and MB did have a waterproof set up. The military guys probably knew that one!

DougL, It sounds like the trouble is at the speedometer is that right? You have a square drive in the transfer case and something else in the speedometer? Does the military cable fit into the speedometer?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-24-2019 at 04:50 PM.

I actually have both speedO's (military & civilian) and right now the only thing I haven't replaced is the actual head unit (speedometer). I was told the civilian speedO wouldn't work with the head unit so I purchased the military cable that is the same setup as the pictures TJ sent. However, I have not removed the drive gear. That goes beyond the scope of my abilities and with my luck, something will go wrong if I remove it! In the meantime, I'm finding a lot of spliced and frayed wiring to keep me busy until my 12-volt voltage regulator arrives and pray that corrects my charging issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I am not aware of any type of pencil gear on a Dana 18 other than the square female cable drive. I am wondering if you should take a 7/8" deep socket and pull the pencil gear out and take a look.
    If it's nothing more than a 7/8" socket to remove the pencil gear to look, then I'll give a shot.

That's it Dougl, It should be a 7/8" deep socket. However I think TJ has shown us what you will find. As TJ said that military cable will only line up in one exact spot. It is going to take spinning the speedo end of the cable while gently pushing the cable into the transfer case.