Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency brake substitute.

Emergency brake substitute.

The jeep I am working has zero parts that constitute the parking brake. Has anyone tried using a brake lock like a Mico or something similar? I think they are supposed to be used to lock the front brakes to do a burnout.

Yes
    It’s called a “line lock”, but I’m sure as soon as you turn the key off it will release.
    What are you working on oklemark, I rebuilt mine in my 52 M38 and I may of kept everything I replaced.
    Let me check to see if I did and I’ll let you know.
    Last edited by TJones; 12-14-2019 at 05:06 AM.

A line lock is an electric solidoind that when 12 volts is applied, blocks off the brake line so to speak. It draws a lot of current and would run the battery dead or, burn up if left on for long periods of time.

TJ has the best advice going, and if he can help you, you would be way ahead of the game. It would be much easier and in the end probably more cost effective, to restore the old brake. I just can't think of a cheaper e-brake setup from scratch.

Here you go oklemark, but I’ll still check my parts. 7FFF242D-3DD7-4AF0-977D-D5F83FA5814A.jpg

Ok, thanks, I thought the one I was looking at you had to apply the brakes to release it.

By the way, I am working on a 57 CJ-5.

I'm not sure Mark, but the "Master Minds"would know if they are the same or not, like I said I will check my stockpile of replaced parts to see if I have anything left.

Mark,
    I went through all my stockpiled parts and the only thing I have as far as EB parts is the shoes, the springs,pins,cables and adjuster were so rusted I pitched them and bought new from KW. Mine had sit in a open lento for 10 years after it came back from Daytona Beach during spring break, so you can only imagine what it looked like underneath.
    If your still looking I’ll check around for pieces parts for ya.
    Last edited by TJones; 12-21-2019 at 05:15 AM.

Mark, that is the same e-brake that fits all the Jeeps and 4 x 4 vehicles until the early 60's. Only the M38A1 is different. There were various ways to apply it. A cane handle through the dash, a lever under the dash, there were a few ways. The parts unique to yours would be the cable and parts that apply the brake via the cable. The lever mounted to the transfer case is the same through the years.

OK, I'll just keep on working on this thing. I can deal with that any time. Back to the brake locks, there are some that I know you can add to a truck with a stock trailer but looks like they run about 300 bucks. But getting this thing back to original could cost that much as well unless I can find someone around here I can scrounge the parts from. It would be nice to have a hand brake. That's the reason I drive automatics.