Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency brake substitute.

It could be done with a hydraulic brake valve but, it would have to be manual (like the one TJones showed below) and, plumbed near the driver. I don't like the idea of the main hydraulic line to the brakes, running up to the dash to a valve, then back to the brakes on a street car. The opportunity for a leak or, damage is going up with each add on. This probably would not pass any on-highway laws.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Lock,1970.html

Now lets go racing. It's done all the time. In some forms of racing brake biasing valves are manually controlled, and usually close to the driver. Controlling the bias between front to rear is a "Driver Thing". The "Line Lock" is used in "Drag Racing" (but not cross dressing) to hold the front wheels locked at the starting line. On to the new generation and you see the "Drifter's" with a large 3 foot long lever yankin' on the rear brakes with a separate master cylinder hooked to the rear brakes and in some cases, an extra set of rear brakes!

It can be done. From the rear brake line at the tee at the master cylinder, run the line to the dash to a manual shut off valve. Run the line from the valve back to the rear brake tee. If you stand on the brakes and close the valve, if there are no leaks, the brakes will be locked until you release them. Install a biasing valve instead of the lock and you are ready to track race!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-23-2019 at 06:53 AM.

To explore all possibilities, look at some of these industrial locks. We had a Mico lock on a tow truck. It worked exceptionally well to keep things where you parked it while winching cars from a ditch.

https://www.mico.com/sites/default/f...%20Guide_0.pdf

https://www.mico.com/sites/default/f...ke%20Locks.pdf

Yes, I looked at some that are designed to actually work as an auxiliary park break. They are higher in price and switch back on automatically if the pressure on the brake line drops. The other kind are used to lock up the front brakes to do a burnout.

With that kind of cost. I am thinking the original system is getting more attractive.

If you could find the parts used you might, but just the backing plate and shoes is 400 bucks in one whack at KW.

I just had an idea. I can carry an 8 foot stick of sucker rod and run it through the wheel spokes.

Wheel chocks.

Lots of free advice here, and worth everything you pay for it.

Anchor tied to a shock cord to ease the stop in case you throw it in an "emergency".

I actually have a high quality chock I found that would work for sure.