Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1957 cj-5

Held the radiator up there so see how the new radiator hoses might fit up. The shape of them seems OK, but the radiator necks are smaller than on the engine so now I have new radiator hoses that won't work. I threw the old ones away and they were flex hoses. I'm pretty sure I can get some with one end smaller than the other. Oh, well I like to put new hoses on anyway when i'm doing this much work.

On odd ball projects, I like to take measurements of both the necks on the engine, and the rad necks. Then bend brazing rod to the shape desired for the routing. Then pay the local Napa store to peruse through their hanging preformed hoses until I can find something that will work. More often then not, you can find something that will work.

I have done that. Out local Coop had a big selection of hoses and I could look through them on my own without anybody bothering me but they got rid of them so now I'll have to do what you suggested.

Once upon a time, the farm stores, ( Farm & Fleet in the Midwest, and the true man-mall Fleet Farms in the upper Midwest) you could dig through and find hoses on your own. Down in the south land, our choices are slim. Beyond the national chains of generic parts houses, there are no good places to go to. Even the one Napa store close by doesn't have crap.

O'Reillys is pretty good here, so I'll probably try them first.

Haven't posted much about mine lately, but have been working on the grill and housing it is mounted to. This has consumed more time than anything as of yet. Two slats were crushed in at the bottom and a couple were bent, but the biggest time has been spent trying to get the paint off and cleaned up for painting. Got the slats pretty good, and have been using a little Bondo to make things smooth. I am just about there. Also been waiting on warmer weather to be able to paint more, but now the issue here in Oklahoma as the weather warms up is the March wind which seems to blow everyday from one direction or the other. Then the issue that the warmer nicer days are going to make me want to do some fishing.

On mine the grill was one of the few body pieces that survived the rust. It was solid. Bent up here and there but solid. I spent a lot of time on it. When I gave it to my body man he said, "well that's a real good start". Needless to say it is perfect now. I really admire you guy's that can do body work. It takes a bit of an Artist.

Check out "The Grand Willys project" on the interwebs. He is a true metal craftsman.

I am not much of a body man truthfully, but I have worked with metal a lot otherwise. It just takes an amateur like me a little more time to get it to the point that I am satisfied with it. It had several holes that I filled in too. It had a bug screen that was held on with screws and something else done in the past.

Got the windshield frame out of the box and it had protective foam rubber of some kind with adhesive padding the frame on all four corners. This stuff does not pull off. You have to tear off what you can and then try to use something sharp to shave it as close as you can and then it is a nightmare. I'm afraid I'm going to basically take everything down to the metal to get it all off. I've never seen anything like it.