Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 1957 cj-5

Here it is with the new winch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by okiemark; 12-12-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Oh man that is a serious tool. I like that for sure. The garage has a vehicle that would love one of those. A genuine Warn. It doesn't get any better than that. There is an old movie, a comedy called the Gods Must Be Crazy. In it a guy hooks his Land Rover (nicknamed "The Anti-Christ") up to a tree and the winch gets stuck on! Hilarious it climbs the tree. I thought that was some kind of trick, so I went down to the 4x4 shop (no Google then) and checked out the specks on some Warn winches. Yes indeed they will lift a Land Rover!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-13-2020 at 07:19 AM.

Impressive tree too to be able to stand up to that!

The Gods Must Be Crazy is a great movie. A worthy winter's day watch for sure.

I know I've told the story before of the Ford tractor skidder hanging from the hydraulic winch attached to a massive limb of an oak tree before.

Glad you went with the Warn winch. It just looks right on your 5, and will last just as long.

Well, I watched a You Tube video of that and the winch didn't actually get stuck, the guy was distracted by the girl in her underwear stuck in the briar tree. Totally understandable.

Haha! A justifiable event.

Awesome ground up build. What went into the decision to get the new tub?

The outer part of the body was actually in pretty good shape. The problem was that the floor was rusted out. The fenders were OK but would have taken a lot of work. The bed had been replaced with a God awful piece of metal that I was going to replace. No tailgate and I wanted a tailgate. Most of the bracing underneath was rotted out. Figuring up all the parts got me to at least half the price of a new tub kit. When I figured in the time and labor to get it the way I wanted it I decided to go with a new tub. Also I lost the vision in my left eye about 5 years ago and trying to weld is really difficult now, especially on light materials and I used to be a welder. No depth perception at short distances.

That is what I faced also Mark. Literally nothing left to start with! My floorboard and rear area was not recognizable. I was Happy with what I got from KW. It was a newer tub kit and had all the updates M.D. Juan had made through he years. There is an excellent Thread on the CJ3A page where they made contact with the M.D. Juan Quality Manager. He actually ended up buying a CJ. The thread is all about members writing in with the corrections they wanted on the tubs. I can tell you for what you get, mine went on pretty well. It did need some work here and there. For what you pay delivered, you need to expect to have to do a little work. I detailed what I had to do to mine in my thread on peeJ.

Yours looks fantastic!