Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1957 cj-5

I'm scratching my head a little now. I bought a new speedometer and gauges. I thought I would try to get a head start on some of the wiring behind the dash panel. I was trying to figure out where the lights in the back went so hooked up a battery and jumpers and tested some stuff out. I can't find any way to make the speedometer light up enough to be able to hardly see it in the dark. Some light does get to the gauges, but this has me puzzled. Maybe I just need to mount a light on the dash. I do have a manual oil gauge with no light that I have to light up anyway.

Dash and Instrument Lights

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    I'm scratching my head a little now. I bought a new speedometer and gauges. I thought I would try to get a head start on some of the wiring behind the dash panel. I was trying to figure out where the lights in the back went so hooked up a battery and jumpers and tested some stuff out. I can't find any way to make the speedometer light up enough to be able to hardly see it in the dark. Some light does get to the gauges, but this has me puzzled. Maybe I just need to mount a light on the dash. I do have a manual oil gauge with no light that I have to light up anyway.
    Another thing that has spoiled us with our more modern vehicles is the instrument and dash lighting. It was almost an afterthought in the 'early days'.

On the '48, the dash lighting consists of two # 55 lamps (2 candlepower) mounted in the speedometer housing. They give about as much illumination as a couple of fireflies in a pill jar.

If I want to see the speedometer in the dark, I turn on the dome light, a dazzling 15 CP # 87! There is very little illumination on any of the gauges either, just what leaks out of the speedometer.

Get one of those 'free' Harbor Freight LED flashlights and hang it in a handy place.

You Guy's are spoiled! The early CJ's (like mine) have ONE bulb tucked under a hood in the middle of the dash above all the gauges. That's it! However at a whopping 45mph, you do have a bit more time to look.

I was thinking one of those dash lights you see on older tractors that have a shield over the top. They would light it up pretty good. I bet that is the same thing you're talking about, bmorgil. But at least this tells me I am not totally crazy.
    Last edited by okiemark; 01-17-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Thats the factory CJ3A setup alright! Just like an old tractor.

I have had good success using LED replacements from these guy's. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...t-light-bulbs/

I have had some of these be too bright. On my Jeep I am using the old tungsten element. I think that barley able to see by the warm orange glow, is nostalgic!

Well, I think knowing the exact speed is not that big of an issue, but I would like to see the oil pressure gauge.

I'm kind of in a stuck position right now. I have the chassis ready to go, painted, fluids in everything except the motor oil, brakes pumped up and ready, but now I'm waiting on warmer weather to get into the major painting. I do have some straightening to do on the grill slats. Decided to clean up the radiator and get it ready to paint. Was brushing away and uncovered some numbers. Found a number that started with C4ZE. Now being a life long Ford guy, that spiked my attention. After that was 8005. Put that into Yahoo and came up with a Ford radiator number that fits Mustangs, Falcons, and Comets. The radiator looks good though. I don't know what to do with this.

Different Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    . The radiator looks good though. I don't know what to do with this.
    Unless it looks badly scabbed in or has other issues, I'd just clean it up and move on. It makes one wonder if the bent grill slats might have happened just a few milliseconds before something punched a hole in the original radiator?

Could have been. A couple of the slats in the middle were crushed in some right at the bottom.

Well, I wasn't sure if that Ford radiator was supposed to be an interchange or just something really close. I didn't suspect anything when I took it off but they did have spacers to hold it out closer to the radiator. They had flex hoses and I bought the ones supposed to be on it so I'll see how they fit.