Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 1957 cj-5

LarrBeard, here is a couple of photos. The bottom of the spring hooks under the bracket that holds the coil and the top hooks over the pin that goes through the carburetor linkage. That may not be exactly the way it was originally, but it works well that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by okiemark; 07-29-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Interesting... does your accelerator linkage come up on the passenger side of the engine?

In the truck, it comes out just inboard of the exhaust manifold on the driver side, then goes through some monkey motion linkages across the top of the engine.

Just one more thing that makes old trucks "special".

It does come up on the passenger side. There is a bracket that bolts on the back of the engine that makes that happen.

Mark, you've done an amazing job on the Jeep. The red and black just makes it shine. It is a good choice of colors. Funny enough, I was listening to The Beatles and realized that your Jeep was built before they even launch their first album. It's great to see such old treasures still running because of you Guys! I'm having a ball reading all your threads. I envy your mechanical knowledge and abilities.

Thanks, that was actually my first experience at a total restore, but I've spent most of my life working on pickups, farm equipment, and oilfield engines so that made it easy, just a lot of work.

Oil field engines..... You don't have a GMC 702 V-12 sitting in a barn? They were used in a lot of oil and water wells as pumps because of the massive torque at low RPM.

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/a-lo...ix-v12-engine/

Not that I need such a massive engine, but it would be sweet to drop it into something and parade it around with a set of zoomies.

No, never came across anything like that. In my earlier days I did work for a pipeline company and they used some Waukesha motors on compressors. Most were straight line motors. Engines I have come across in my pumping business have all been one cylinder. Fairbanks/Morse 503s and 739s. They have exposed valves. Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, 8 X 10, 9 X 12, they are two cycle engines with ports and reed valves. Continental or Arrow engines that actually have an oil pump an valves are enclosed. The newest motors are a Kubota which is not a bad engine but I personally don't care for because of the vibration.

Well, I went to the tag agency today. They had to verify the ID plate in order get the title released. They are also an insurance agency so I got the insurance which was pretty cheap and then my tag. The tag was $10.50. Put 37 miles on it, the longest trip I have taken. It drives nice where the highway is reasonably smooth which is a challenge around here. Still having rough running issues. I put a tune up kit in. Distributor cap, rotor, points, and condenser but it didn't change a thing. I'm convinced it is in the carb. I have the idle set pretty fast to keep it running and it will run like that then start running slower, faster up and down and eventually it will just die. Running down the road you don't notice a thing.

Mark, if you give it some choke can you get it to idle down a little and stop surging and dying?

Yeah, pulling the choke will speed it up and keep it running, but it just won't stay running at a slower idle. This thing used to run perfectly smooth and idle really slow. Seems to me something is intermittently starving it for gas.