Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1957 cj-5

There will be a few don't worry! For sure you will have to drill the body mounts. See my post. I covered what I had to do to my 3A body kit. Just make sure you start with the front end. Put on the grill and the fenders and fasten them loosely. Then put on the tub and line it up as best you can. You will see there is a body ""hat channel" that will pretty much line up with the frame holes when all is well.

On mine I had to have the firewall modified by the body shop. It hit the motor in the back at the throttle linkage bracket before the tub would come all the way forward.

I looked at the fenders and noticed the piece that stiffens the fender about half way extends to bolt to the frame on my old fenders, but that piece doesn't extend down on the new fenders. Is this an issue?

Cleaning hubs and brake drums and anything else I can get my hands on. I guess I'm making progress. Decided to put a U-joint in the front drive shaft and it about ate me up. The needle cups didn't want to go in straight and it made it hard to get the other cup on, so naturally I ended up with a needle down. Been a long time since I did that. I think the yoke might have been sprung a little.

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    I looked at the fenders and noticed the piece that stiffens the fender about half way extends to bolt to the frame on my old fenders, but that piece doesn't extend down on the new fenders. Is this an issue?
    Can you get a pic of that? Is the original brace a PO add on maybe?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-20-2019 at 04:31 PM.

It extends down from the fender along side the frame. Has two bolts that go through it into the frame. I'll take some pictures.

If your original fender supports are not too rotten, (often they rot around the place where it is spot welded to the fender) cut what you need to get what you need to finish the mount. Is it crucial? No, your fenders will not fall off, but I would fix it just because it's supposed to be. These mounts are the only points that directly tie the fenders to the frame. I replaced the pieces on our '46, and the fenders were much sturdier then they were before they were repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    If your original fender supports are not too rotten, (often they rot around the place where it is spot welded to the fender) cut what you need to get what you need to finish the mount. Is it crucial? No, your fenders will not fall off, but I would fix it just because it's supposed to be. These mounts are the only points that directly tie the fenders to the frame. I replaced the pieces on our '46, and the fenders were much sturdier then they were before they were repaired.
    gm do the CJ5 fenders mount like the cj2 and 3's ? Is he missing the main bracket that holds the fender to the frame? I didn't think the CJ5 had that big center brace to the frame. On an older CJ that is the main mounting. Why would they (manufactures) have left that off?

The M38A1 did still have the main brace to the frame. The fenders for the A1 mounted in the same fashion as the flat fenders.

I too thought about cutting off some of the old bracket and add it on the new fender. I'll put on pictures when I get a chance. The fact that the CJ-5 grill mounts at one point in the middle worries me that it might want to lean to one side or the other if it isn't held there. I'm going to be crossing that bridge in maybe a couple of weeks.

Jeep10.jpg (52.9 KB)

Well, I've been at it pretty steadily, finally got the frame shined up pretty good. The hardest and most tedious part is inside the channels, but did the best I could. Got the new rear crossmember/bumper put on, got the rear differential painted and back in and back inside before the big rain about a week ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by okiemark; 01-04-2020 at 09:08 PM.