Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 1957 cj-5

Mark if it runs better with a little choke, that is the classic plugged idle jet in a Carter carb (assuming no vacuum leaks). The Idle "Jet" is actually a tube with a tiny and I mean tiny hole in it. They plug up for any reason they want. I have had and still see, the tube jet plugged brand new. The natural corrosion of the brass produces a very small nearly invisible green crust. It plugs that tube right up brand new. Anything in the fuel system will plug it if it finds its way there. When they are severely plugged the engine will not idle without the choke helping. I use a tiny wire and clean it out with that. When you hold it up to a light you will see why they can cause trouble. The hole is so small you have to hold it just right to see any light through it. The slightest piece of crud and, its plugged. If the idle air adjustment does very little to the idle, the idle fuel circuit is suspect. It sounds like yours is approaching wont even idle. Take a look at a drawing on what that jet looks like. It is a tiny "crap funnel".
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-10-2020 at 10:17 AM.

That sounds about right to me. I figure since it happened while it was running it might have been a particle of something very small. I get this on small engines that sit for a year or so that I didn't run the gas out of and it will plug the main jet. I'll get to it first chance I get.

The metering rod was lying in the bottom of the bowl. I've got to figure out how to keep that from happening again.

You'll get it figured. Start on something else and it will come to you maybe. I had to put a somewhat vintage screw in a horizontal pin to keep it from sliding through. It works. I'm not a mechanic genius like these other fellers but I would add as a three footed maniac driver that maybe don't hot rod the thing once you do get it back together. Something or other about tolerances.

Here is all the information you may ever need on the carburetor you should have installed on your '57.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Car...al_ep_317.html

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/YF-...t_ep_1864.html

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    The metering rod was lying in the bottom of the bowl. I've got to figure out how to keep that from happening again.
    Wow how did that happen? Do you have the screw adjustable rod or the "bend the tab" adjustment?

I have to take a hard look at it this afternoon. When I got the kit there were no instructions or any type of exploded view. I could have gotten something in the wrong place or position.

I'm going to guess that you are looking at a secondary issue. The metering rod came loose when you took it apart; it's probably not the idle problem you were chasing. The metering rod would cause high speed issues- but it's a Jeep, who knows?

The metering rod provides the transition, cruise and high speed fuel. If the rod fell out it should have been way rich everywhere but full load. Unless the rod fell into the jet closing it, then it would be lean everywhere but idle. It sounds like it was doing its own thing!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-14-2020 at 07:22 PM.

The spring that is supposed to hold it was off, and that would have been my fault. I may have just failed to get it on right when I put the thing together. Now it will run better, but now as well as it did originally. I'll probably pull that idle jet out and have a look at that.