Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1957 cj-5

Try Isopropyl Alcohol. Soak it good and rub at it with a soaked rag. It will usually dissolve most adhesives (and permanent ink).

I'll try that. I had some acetone and that is working better than anything else I had. I have to just tear it off piece by piece with my hands and then use a scraper to get what I can get with that, then soak a rag with acetone and start rubbing. It will gum up and smear around but after a few times over it will finally come off. And after a while of smelling the acetone you will be whistling a happy tune.

I set the tub on the frame today. Starting to look like something!

Got finished with the wiring, everything mechanical done, decided to try and fire her up. Switched it on and let the fuel pump fill the carb and it flooded over. Pulled the top off and looked like the float was adjusted too high, did a little bend and fixed that. Cranked and sputtered, cranked and sputtered, finally tried to run, then stayed running. After running a little while I adjusted the fuel mixture and it smoothed out pretty good. Warmed up and the thermostat opened, temp gauge not working. Oh, no, front seal leaking, valve cover leaking. I can fix that valve cover pretty easy. Thinking I may have to get a new front pully. The seal is new. I'm pretty much done except finishing painting, putting on the tail lights, and the front bumper. Oh, and putting the windshield in the new frame. Still work to do but glad to hear her run.

It lives! It is getting closer to "take it out and run it" time.

I could put a pillow on top of the gas tank and drive it now. Don't put it past me.

Good deal! Glad you are getting closer to driving. A pillow will suffice for the first drive.

Looking super good! A pillow and of course, the Forum has a requirement that you post photo's of you driving sittin' on a pillow.

Yep - the pillow picture is kind of your man-card.

I like the color!