Thread: New Member

Hi All: I am a Willys dealer retired. I owned my Jeep store in the 70's and also had a Willys-Overland parts and remodeling business in Northern Michigan. At the time all the WW2 guys were retiring and they loved to have an old Willys in the garage at their cabins in Northern Michigan. We rebuilt all 12 Willys engines and sold them all over the Midwest. It was lots of fun.

Current project is a 66 CJ-5 w original V6. I rebuilt it in 2000. Gave it to my kids. Had so many parts left over, I built another exactly the same except for a T18. The kids gave theirs to my grandson and now I'm going through it again, just for him. I forgot how much work it is.

It was so easy to get parts back then. Not now. I was a Crown parts buyer back in the 70's. Transportation Part Co in Chicago had everything. Acme Bodies were the best steel bodies. 4WD Hardware was the best fiberglass body. Looks like they're all gone. I looked for a steering box rebuild kit and theres nothing around. The kit for early CJ is around but not 64-71. O well, if I can be a good thread member and answer any questions, I will. Tim Gardner

Oh Boy ! Finally An Adult Leader!!

Quote Originally Posted by timandzack View Post
    Hi All: I am a Willys dealer retired. I owned my Jeep store in the 70's and also had a Willys-Overland parts and remodeling business in Northern Michigan. I was a Crown parts buyer back in the 70's.
    Finally we have someone who can tell us what's going on!

Welcome to the group!!!

Welcome tomandzack to the Group!!!
    Jump right in We All need as much help as we can get

timandzack, there are a bunch of guys here who know a ton about these Jeeps an a few like me who are just working on their first project. It is interesting, fun, hard work, expensive, but rewarding.

Welcome timandzack!

O thank you so much. I forgot so much over the years but I have some old parts books with original Jeep part numbers. That helps. Even some A-xxx numbers from the first go around of the MB which was the MA the WW2 war dept turned down. Too heavy.

Today I find I can't buy online a steering box rebuild kit for 65-71 CJ so if anyone has anything from that steering box, I need the help. I've got new rollers but the 2 cages are missing, and not for sale in the rebuild kit. Any help?

As a newer member, some of the best information available on our builds is from guys like you who have been there and done it in the business. This is a great group of people, knowledgeable, humble, and hilarious. Welcome!