Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello, I am new to the forum and the new owner of a 1962 M38A1.

Hello,
    Thank you for the great info. I had no idea about the heat shield. I will look to replace it, as it is no longer there.
    I am going to buy a new one, it looks like it wasn't replaced when they did the last brake work. The top on the cylinder has the standard large square "nut", but it has a large bolt sticking out of the top as well.

The pipe plug with the center threaded is an original part. The threaded hole is for the fording kit, and a brass fitting goes in it to vent up into the air cleaner assembly. Usually the tube is corroded and breaks off after time, so the fitting was removed and the bolt was installed to plug the hole. The later civilian plugs were vented via a brass filter within the plug, which wouldn't work out too well while swimming.

Well,

I have oil in the engine, a new fuel pump, Master Cylinder, and carburetor. Bled the brakes and they are working great. I put fuel in the tank. I need to get 2 batteries and do a compression check. Then try to start it. Also new antifreeze.

I am searching for three M38A1 wheels if anyone knows of any.

Monday, 021020, I got 2 batteries, installed, tried to start it. No Go. It won't turn over. I have power to the starter switch on the starter, but no go.
    Last edited by AZTROOPER; 02-10-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Ok. I did a bench test of the starter. I just wasn't pushing the plunger all the way in. I re-installed it and its spinning now.

I tried to start it, but I realized I need to prime the new fuel pump.

Hearing the motor turn over slowly in the way they do, brought me right back to my Army days in the M151.

Oh just wait till it fires! Its like stepping back in time. The nostalgia factor on these old Jeeps, especially the military ones, is fantastic. Tooling along at 48 MPH with the wind truly in your face, side, back and feet, is a riot!

Tons of progress on this! So I ignored the brakes on my 64 civilian jeep truck, they were "fixed like new" when it came to me, just needed TLC, etc etc. Six months later it's getting the new brakes everyone here advised all along. That was after I ended up in a different lane when I hit em hard. That said, should have listened. I should have started with the brakes... As importantly, really looking forward to reading about this build. Good luck with it.

One thing AZT, on that compression test remember that the numbers listed are for a warm engine. Don't get to alarmed if they are low. You are looking for how many pumps (compression strokes) it takes to get to the highest number. The procedure in the Service Manual is excellent. Your looking for the numbers to be high enough to fire and all cylinders acting nearly the same after 4 strokes.

Gonna try again on Sunday. I'll report back progress. I've rebuilt the carburetor. Most likely gonna need new fuel lines. The fuel left over in the carb was so bad, it had hardened like amber in one chamber. Can just imagine what the lines look like

That carb is notorious for clogging the tiny tube/jet in the low speed jet assembly. If you didn't pass a small wire through it, they get clogged inside. If you put in the new one there is a chance it will be clogged just from storage. The brass corrodes and forms a small amount of residue inside. We are talking minuscule amounts here in a tiny passage. I have rebuilt a few of this style jet now and each time right out of the box that passage was corroded shut. If it is clogged, the motor will not idle below 1500 RPM or so without stalling. When you hold the jet tube to a light just right, you must be able to see through it. It is difficult to line it up just right with a light but, you will see it right away when it's clear. If you google "WO carburetor wont idle" you find many people have fired up their freshly rebuilt WO carb only to find it wont idle without the choke on.

Just a thought, if you haven't gotten to far it is a great thing to be sure of. It is one of the most frequent problems with the WO carb.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-28-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Got it running today!!!!! it's only running on 3 cylinders. I was able to drive it around a little. The transmission/gearbox worked great. The transfer case worked, went into four-wheel drive. I gotta find a set of plugs and wires.