Thread: paint question

paint question

Had my frame and axles sandblasted and sprayed them with self-etching primer to keep them from rusting. I’m thinking I may have made a mistake in doing this. I thought I would have more time to get it primed not thinking it would rust so quickly. Anyway got in a hurry and used the primer that was recommended by a friend. So my question is what primer should I go over this primmer with so the top paint will stick. I also don’t have a spray gun so something in a can would be preferred
    thanks

wildman6809, the best way to find your answer is in the paint manufactures technical advice staff. I would get on line and chat or, send and email or, give em a call. The manufacturer should be able to give you a solid answer on that.

I used Rust-Oleum self etching primer on mine after sand blasting, and then covered it with Rust-Oleum black and made sure it got warm enough to cure. I have painted a lot of frames and under bodies this way since the 60's. That product seems to be a bit "soft" and chip resistant. It takes the pelting from road debris well.

Welcome Wildman,
    The Rustoleum products have been my go to for frame painting. The self etching primer is good for a base coat primer, that is compatible with most automotive primers.

If you are priming something that is a high wear area, I.e. floor boards, steps, or underside of mower decks, I use an oil based implement primer sold by Tractor Supply. It is a not so appealing yellow color, but will wear like iron.