Thread: courage or stupidity

courage or stupidity

I have a '70 Jeepster v-6 3 sp.that I use for plowing my own driveway.I'm trying to work up the courage to put the transfer case into low range.Things would be easier on the clutch etc.if I had low range.In the ten years I've had the old girl I've not messed with the transfer case,should I screw up my courage or leave it in 4 wheel hi?thanks ,Churchkey

Oh my gosh, the dilemma. If I say aw man stick it in low and give it a go, and it breaks, I hereby disclaim all liability.

I would shift it in gently by the book. I would run it around easy for a while and if it runs good, no loud noises, it was made to plow in low range.

Never fear, parts are available.

Welcome Churchkey,
    I would lube the linkage going into the transfer case before grabbing and yanking on the transfer case lever. After letting the penetrating oil time to soak in, gently engage 4 low. Unless there was water contamination in the transmission/transfer case, the only point of concern would be the shift rods going into the transfer case for being sticky with corrosion. Gentle persuasion is the key. Nothing to fear.

Definitely some good advice there. Spray the shift rails with WD40 where they enter the transfer case as gmwillys said. The seals will not tolerate rust cutting into them. A little attention there might prevent a leak later.

Well. Two choices from my seat. On the one hand you could abandoned courage and wait til summer. Take a couple of weeks to sort it all out. Other hand, try this business during the next blizzard. That way you'll for sure get it working.

Haha! I like option 2. There is something about "do or die" that gets it done.

True, option 2 is a lot more fun, but with my luck it would jam up in neutral, and would have to shovel by hand.