Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: courage or stupidity

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3

    courage or stupidity

    I have a '70 Jeepster v-6 3 sp.that I use for plowing my own driveway.I'm trying to work up the courage to put the transfer case into low range.Things would be easier on the clutch etc.if I had low range.In the ten years I've had the old girl I've not messed with the transfer case,should I screw up my courage or leave it in 4 wheel hi?thanks ,Churchkey

  2. #2
    Super Moderator bmorgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    776
    Oh my gosh, the dilemma. If I say aw man stick it in low and give it a go, and it breaks, I hereby disclaim all liability.

    I would shift it in gently by the book. I would run it around easy for a while and if it runs good, no loud noises, it was made to plow in low range.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    150
    Never fear, parts are available.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator gmwillys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,977
    Welcome Churchkey,
    I would lube the linkage going into the transfer case before grabbing and yanking on the transfer case lever. After letting the penetrating oil time to soak in, gently engage 4 low. Unless there was water contamination in the transmission/transfer case, the only point of concern would be the shift rods going into the transfer case for being sticky with corrosion. Gentle persuasion is the key. Nothing to fear.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator bmorgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    776
    Definitely some good advice there. Spray the shift rails with WD40 where they enter the transfer case as gmwillys said. The seals will not tolerate rust cutting into them. A little attention there might prevent a leak later.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 5JeepsAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    110
    Well. Two choices from my seat. On the one hand you could abandoned courage and wait til summer. Take a couple of weeks to sort it all out. Other hand, try this business during the next blizzard. That way you'll for sure get it working.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator bmorgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    776
    Haha! I like option 2. There is something about "do or die" that gets it done.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator gmwillys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,977
    True, option 2 is a lot more fun, but with my luck it would jam up in neutral, and would have to shovel by hand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •