Thread: Horn rebuild 1949 Jeepster

Horn rebuild 1949 Jeepster

Hi All, I am getting ready to put my steering wheel back together and had a question on the horn. In the attached picture I am wondering what the 3 items I marked with red lines are?

I have / am buying replacement parts #5,3,1 - Am I correct in assuming that is a metal washer under #5?

Horn does activate when grounded from the button above #6 wire.

jeepster horn.jpg

Wanted to post a quick update on this horn issue. My issue was in the parts that KW doesn't sell in the horn assembly in the original schematic. I ended up taking a spring from a wheel cylinder and attaching a spent casing from a .22 caliber bullet. After some trimming of the spring and filling the brass down I was able to re-attach the horn button. Some trial and error but boy does that horn sound sweet. 20200207_175815.jpg
    20200207_175826.jpg

Looks great! McGiver would be proud!

Nicely done! Indeed McGiver has nothing on you.

It appears we are finding out you can work on a lot of things on an old Jeep with a few things from the Gun Shop!

Ira and I can both testify that a case tumbler will clean up old hardware very nicely. Clean off the grease and tumble for a day or so and hardware is as close to new as it's going to be - and you know it's the right grade!

Haha! It just keeps getting better. I bet that would be an awesome way to polish parts.