Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Title

Lost Title

Good afternoon i purchased 2- CJ 5 a 1955 and a 1960 they both have Data plates on firewall but no Titles. Just getting ready to pull the body to check serial numbers on frame. Any suggestions on how to approach on getting Title,Salvage Title. Sure could use some help on this. I'm thinking i can't be the only person to have done this.

I just registered a 1970 Will/Kaiser truck in GA without a title and didn't have any issues. I had a bill of sales but, they didn't ask to see it.

mhead,

You'll need to check with your local DMV on your states requirements. Often it takes paying a small fee to your local police/sheriff department to perform a serial number check to ensure your Jeep is not stolen, then you can take that information to the DMV and they can work you through the process. I would do all the leg work through an internet search for your state, and that will give you an idea on how many hoops you need to jump through. Pelago had a difficult time in getting his licensed in North Carolina. Georgia and Alabama do not title vehicles older then 1975, so a certified bill of sale will suffice, (depending on the person behind the desk if it has to be certified or not).

On the one I'm working on, the guy had the title, but it was signed about 4 owners back and nobody brought up the title. Best I can tell the last year it was tagged was 1990, but that won't be a problem that money can't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    mhead,

You'll need to check with your local DMV on your states requirements. Often it takes paying a small fee to your local police/sheriff department to perform a serial number check to ensure your Jeep is not stolen, then you can take that information to the DMV and they can work you through the process. I would do all the leg work through an internet search for your state, and that will give you an idea on how many hoops you need to jump through. Pelago had a difficult time in getting his licensed in North Carolina. Georgia and Alabama do not title vehicles older then 1975, so a certified bill of sale will suffice, (depending on the person behind the desk if it has to be certified or not).
    Oops, I forgot having the police verify the SN. They (the GA DMV) did require that. I thought this was going to be big deal but, it was just a phone call, 15 minute wait on the cop, 15 minutes for him to run the numbers and done.

Wait for the Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by Trailabite View Post
    Oops, I forgot having the police verify the SN. They (the GA DMV) did require that. I thought this was going to be big deal but, it was just a phone call, 15 minute wait on the cop, 15 minutes for him to run the numbers and done.
    I'm glad that went well.

In Indiana, when I finally got all my paper together to reactivate the registration on the '48, which had sat in the barn for 35 years, the gotcha was that I had to pay a five year failure to register penalty for the first five years (or maybe the last five years) that the truck had been in the barn.

The DMV is like that big sled at the tractor pull; "You Know We're Gonna Getcha' ."

I had an International truck I bought in about 90 and it sat in the barn for about 25 years. I never got the title changed over and a few years ago I decided to start using it and when I went to get the title and tag it cost some money but the agency said it was actually cheaper than buying a tag every year and having to insure it.

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    I had an International truck I bought in about 90 and it sat in the barn for about 25 years. I never got the title changed over and a few years ago I decided to start using it and when I went to get the title and tag it cost some money but the agency said it was actually cheaper than buying a tag every year and having to insure it.
    I had to catch up on 4 years, all said done the whole thing deal only cost me $108.

As I recall in Colorado you have to buy a bond as well for $100 or something as well as the SN verification. There are two types of SN verification in Colorado, one you can get done at a place like a auto repair shop and the other you need done by law enforcement. The lost title requires law enforcement SN verification.

There used to be title companies that would get you a title from a easy state for $400 or something which is convenient, but you still need the SN verification in Colorado, so it doesn't save you a lot of hassle.

I am looking for a Willys MB title for any year from 1942-1945 if anyone out there is willing to sell one.

Steve
    Seabee Willys