Thread: Horn Button Repair after Saginaw Swap

Horn Button Repair after Saginaw Swap

The previous owner of my CJ-3A did a Saginaw steering swap and near as I can tell the horn wire used to run straight down the worm tube to the horn. All that was cut off. Is there any way other than putting a button on the dash to make the horn work again?

What does the steering column look like? Does it have a horn button set up? Or was the original steering column used with the new box? If it was you should be able to hook the horn button back up.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-13-2020 at 12:13 PM.

The steeing column I'm pretty sure is stock and the horn button is there. The Saginaw steering box has no provision for a wire running through it like the Ross box and I cannot sneak the wire out of the side of the shaft.

That could be a tough one. Since the wire travels down the center of the actual steering shaft, it needs to come out the bottom somehow. Was that a kit of some kind I wonder? It is popular to retro a Saginaw box. Someone must have encountered this before.

A 2A column runs the wire down the shaft, but has a contact at the base of the tube, before it goes into the steering box, (Ross style). The later M38A1s didn't use a long wire, but rather a long contact piece that would make contact at the end of the steering box. The diagram is a bit confusing because the M38A1 was by itself, and is configured as the second drawing.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...3b-5-m38-m38a1

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...ring-50-52-m38

On our wagon, it was converted to a Saginaw steering box. The steering column was swapped with a '64 on up Wagoneer tilt column. This kept the column to look fairly close to the original equipment except to where the tilt is incorporated. The column uses a more modern horn ring, with the wires running down the interior of the column tube.