Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ham's '48: The Repaint Project

Looks great!

OH MAN! It looked awful good before. It's hard to have to tell you but... it belongs inside the Seagate Center again. Your going to need that trailer and chauffeur, even if you are just in the parade. Imagine a stone slung up on US24 by a speeding 18 wheeler! Oh my!

Seriously, looking real spiffy there Larry!

OMG Larry that looks Spectacular!!!!!

That is beautiful. Great color and I like that tag on the front.

way cool
    well done my friend

LOVE it. Happy for you

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    That is beautiful. ... I like that tag on the front.
    Thanks for the nice comment about how the truck looks.

The paint is the original Tunisian Red and I thank BMorgil over and over for tracking down the correct paint codes from the PPG Legacy Paint Library.

Like just about everything on a truck that’s been in the family for about 76 years, there is a story behind the license plate. If you notice, the plate is cut in the shape of the state of Tennessee. ‘Way back then, there was not a federal regulation that told everyone that their license plates had to be ‘yay wide and ‘yay tall. States had a few choices they could make for themselves.

As far as my brother and I can recall and reconstruct, our dad bought the truck “… from some ole’ boy down in Mississippi… “ in late summer or early fall of 1954. Knowing my father, he was in no particular hurry to get Tennessee plates on it. (Back then, plates tended to follow a vehicle around as it was sold.) By the time he got around to registering the truck, sometime in late 1954, there is a good chance that he would have gotten 1955 plates at the Tennessee DMV office.

If you look at the plate number; 7 F/1-783 – it would break down as County 7 (Madison County) Farm truck (F), weight class (1) – light truck - and sequential plate number 783 (a fairly low number). My brother found this plate in the old barn/garage stuck up between a post and the siding. There is no doubt this is a plate from the truck’s earliest days with the family, and the story I just told makes it very possible it is the first plate my father (Ham Beardsley) put on the truck. If not the first, certainly the second!

My father passed away in 1964. I took over the truck in mid-September of that year. To add to the heritage license plate story, my brother also found a 1964 truck plate in the old building. It too is a 7 F/1 plate, and although I do not recall any other details, it is either the last plate my father put on the truck, or the first I had to purchase. I suspect if I had to purchase plates that year, I reregistered and retitled the truck, so I may have stuck that plate away when changed plates out.

AS I said, when you’ve had a truck for over 76-years, the stories pile up. That’s what Jeep stories are supposed to do!

Then, there is the dead goat heater – a story for another day.

I gotta tell ya, it is apparent "working with a dead goat" has left a lasting impression on you.

Yep, I remember in Oklahoma when you could look at a license plate and tell where the driver was from but no more. Great story!

I feel the dead goat story coming back around for sure. Great story!