When I bought my project the guy gave us the title. He had never gotten it put into his name but a previous owner had signed it on the back. I think it may have gone through three or four hands before it got to me. Today I went to the tag agency to get the title in my name. The gal looked it and said, It wasn't notarized when it was signed. I hadn't noticed that so I asked her what could be done. She said go get the guy, let's just call him Bob, to sign it in front of a notary. I think the last time it was tagged was 1990, so I think you know what I am thinking. She said there is something called Title 42 where you can give your information to a guy, probably a lawyer and he can arrange a court order and get a clear title. So I look in the phone book at the town where Bob lived and saw two people listed with Bob's last name. Called the first one and phone was no longer in service. Called the second one and told her who I was and asked if she knew of a Bob and she said Holy ****! He's been dead a long time. I checked the cemetery on line and he died in 2007. So I called the Title 42 number and talked to the guy and he said give him make, model, and serial number and they would check to make sure it wasn't stolen or flagged for some other reason and I could get a title in about a week for $360. The good news is that all back tags and penalties are wiped out. Decided I didn't have much choice. More Jeep fun.