Thread: What is this part called?

Hybrid View

What is this part called?

This is on a 1949 Jeepster and is under / behind the left side control arm. I cant find a name for it anywhere. Outside of "hot rust mess".

20200122_080020.jpg
    20200122_075946.jpg

Sorry. Having issues with posting pics. Here it is a little better I hope.
    20200122_115600.jpg

It looks to be part of the frame. The second picture looks to have the piece riveted in?. Or are those carriage bolts? The first picture shows threads at the nut, so if you can unbolt, it would make the repair easier. Your only good solution would be to cut out the rust and weld in a new piece of steel. Not super complicated, just would take a little time to get the new piece shaped just right.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-22-2020 at 12:30 PM.

That's what I was thinking. It does appear riveted in most places.

Then I would use a die grinder and cut out the rot just enough to get to some workable steel, then patch the hole. You don't want to go too extreme, just enough to build back up the integrity of the piece.

What do you think about cutting back the rust and lapping the new steel to tie the two parts of the frame together? Kind of like a cast.

That will work just fine. When you cut back the rust, use a liberal amount of rust stopping paint on the inside of the remaining bracket, before you weld in the new piece. Then it will be a forever fix.

Here is an update and to close out this post.
    Cut - grind - patched with 3/16 steel - POR inside and out.

20200123_163151.jpg
    20200123_175734.jpg

It looks good! I hate how destructive rust is. Here in Northwest Ohio the road salt is so bad it will rust even the newest cars in a few years.