Thread: Front seat replacement

Front seat replacement

Having trouble finding anything to replace the old spring seats from a '59 CJ5. A local upholsterer wants the outrageous price of $450 per seat to redo the present setup. Anyone done this? I want to keep the gas tank under the driver and keep the flip-up option on passenger side to access tool box underneath.

Walks has spring kits. https://walcks4wd.com/catalogsearch/..._list_limit=30 They also have the covers.

There are a lot of cover vendors. The covers I received from KW were excellent. I went with their foam cushions. I am very happy with it. It appears they don't have you "covered" though! You may want o give them a call. Mike can usually get that stuff. I have seen a few videos on the web of rebuilding the springs.

These seats are fairly easily to re-cover. It is still one of the more costly endeavors however.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-08-2020 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks, the seats and springs need to be "stuffed" too though.

I think the price the upholstery guy gave you might be pretty righteous, if he is good it would be hard to beat $450.

The stuffing now a days is usually an inch of foam between the springs and the cover.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-09-2020 at 07:25 AM.

$450 apiece. That was after I repaired, painted and replaced parts on the frames/springs. I think it was worth it though. Photo attached

seat.jpg

Wow those look sweet
    I wish I could of found a orange like that for my seats!!

60588516873__F176BC69-E086-4EC7-AFD9-ADFEFC89E6E5.jpgIMG_1907 (2).jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 05-18-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Nice ride there TJ!

Thank You
    It’s been 3 years in the making, I love your seats. When I had my inserts put in the light orange was the only color he had available, they are not a perfect match but they are close. The $450 your guy charge is a good deal I think, I’m thinking my guy cut out the black To insert orange was $250 or $300 a seat but he double stitched everything and they came out pretty nice.

Yes, this guy did good work. The time involved was extended, but I think it was all due to the Covid19 hype. His supply chain is all effected by the issue. The wait was worth it, however, and the joint is only 2 miles away from me.

After deciding to stay very original with the seats in the '48 truck, I would reconsider if I were doing it all over again. Like most things, seat technology has really improved in the last 70-years. Original seats, however well they are done, can be a pain in the butt - literally!