Thread: Export windshield seal

Export windshield seal

I have a 1956 CJ5 that has the split vented windshield. Mike at KW has given me good and bad news. These windshields are rare, and nobody makes a new seal.
    The glass and everything else is perfect, but the rubber seal is pretty bad and I would like to replace it. Anybody have any suggestions or experience with these windshields?
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

All these Jeep windshields are very similar to large truck glass rear windows and such. Think Semi's and Delivery trucks and the like. Find a shop that does truck glass on site. Not a big glass repair service, but a Glass Shop that can cut and grind flat safety glass on site. They will have the seals. Bring them what you have. They will be able to cut you new glass, provide you with a plethora of seals and install it all trouble free. There is one not far from me but unless your in Northwestern Ohio, that wont help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    All these Jeep windshields are very similar to large truck glass rear windows and such. Think Semi's and Delivery trucks and the like. Find a shop that does truck glass on site. Not a big glass repair service, but a Glass Shop that can cut and grind flat safety glass on site. They will have the seals. Bring them what you have. They will be able to cut you new glass, provide you with a plethora of seals and install it all trouble free. There is one not far from me but unless your in Northwestern Ohio, that wont help!
    Thats great advice, I will find one here on the Left Coast.

We had new glass installed in our 2A reproduction windshield frame. I purchased the seals to go around the windshield panes but ended up not fitting correctly. The repro frame was slightly thinner and the replacement glass was a smidge thicker then the originals. The glass guy recommended using urethane sealant to secure the windshield glass within the frame, then shape the excess to imitate the original style of the seal the rubber. It turned out OK, and it doesn't allow the glass to move within the frame. It looks alright from across the parking lot. If your windshield frame is in good shape, then you should have any problem getting a seal cut.

I'm pretty sure black butyl would work to seal the glass within the frame. My hope is to find a window seal that will fill and seal the window frame to the windshield frame.

When the tuck shop is done, it will look factory.