Thread: New to CJ2A discovery

New to CJ2A discovery

Just brought home a 1948 Jeep in a Box. Literally. The frame is in pretty fair shape except the front crossmember was replaced with steel "u" channel and the frame is now 1" wider at the front than the rear (29"¼ rear-30"¼ front). Removing the added steel and replacing the crossover with OEM hopefully takes care of that. However, not sure where to find an OEM front crossover for the 1948 CJ2A? This is my starting point, to restore the frame ready for chassis/drive system, with finding more discoveries of missing or bad components? I have my own amateur machine shop having restored several antique motorcycles, this is a first 4 wheel vehicle...must replace the "two wheels of life"....dual sport bikes; with a true American adventure! Looking forward to learn and share with you, whom I have much to learn from and I appreciate your sharing that experience and knowledge.

kaiserwillys.com lists a front crossmember for that model. You might check that site to see if that is the one you need. Chances are you will be using that site a lot.

Welcome Spence.

Please post some of your two wheel rides! I live not too far from the Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds AL. They have a museum there that is jam packed with vintage bikes. I love going through and looking at their revolving inventory.

https://www.barbermuseum.org/

Now to your question. The cross member offered by Kaiser Willys would be an excellent start to getting your frame back in shape. The one thing that you'll have to know is that the cross member offered does not have the weldment for the steering bell rank mount. The WWII Willys MB jeep had the bell crank mounted to the axle instead of the cross member to remedy the harsh characteristics of the steering darting while hard braking. The cross member offered will work, but your existing bell crank mount will need to be cut off the C channel and welded to the new piece.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-11-2020 at 04:48 AM.

I love that track!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there anywhere you haven't been, except jail?

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Is there anywhere you haven't been, except jail?
    Infamous remember. Thank God they didn't keep good records back in the day!

I am as lost and never to be found with this, will get tech help to add pics per your interest, Sorry, I am very old fashion and very remote country with no help available. But I will get help eventually...On my question, perhaps I should find a good parts jeep, or another jeep and use this project as parts?

To add pictures go to Go Advanced tab on the bottom right of the Quick Reply window. The top of the Advanced window has several options to add pictures. I use the paper clip to add pictures from my files.

Good frames come up from time to time, but I wouldn't give up on yours if the steel is in good shape. Nothing is too far gone.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I am as lost and never to be found with this, will get tech help to add pics per your interest, Sorry, I am very old fashion and very remote country with no help available. But I will get help eventually...On my question, perhaps I should find a good parts jeep, or another jeep and use this project as parts?
    Spence you are definitely not lost! You are on the best map to success. gmwillys has you covered. He has done his share of frame repair. Help is available. Keep working on posting pictures, we will need them. We are all very "Old Fashioned" or we would be driving new vehicles instead of spending a fortune on old ones.

A good parts jeep never hurts but, what do you need? Many parts are out there used and new. If you think you are missing more than half of the stuff you need, a parts Jeep starts to make sense but, it needs to have the parts you don't have. I think just take it easy and tackle it "pelago" style "One Bolt at a Time".

Stay in touch!

The last rotten frame I had turned out fairly descent. I'm sure yours isn't too bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images