Thread: First time restoration of a 57 Willys

First time restoration of a 57 Willys

Good day, I am in the process of restoring a 57 Willys CJ5. I have a question on the oil filter placement? Mine had the filter on the firewall but a lot of the pictures I see have the filter on the engine. Can someone tell me what is the difference?
    Thanks for the help
    Marty

Welcome Willys@57,
    The original configuration would have the filter assembly mounted on the engine. It is difficult to say what filter you may have without seeing pictures of your ride. Most likely it is a simular filter to original, but the mounting brackets being the only real difference.

Mine had an aftermarket add on that uses a Ford screw on filter. Is yours a screw on or a cannister type?

You are all set. Someone has relocated the oil filter canister to the firewall. There is a bracket that goes on the motor. The canister goes there originally. https://www.kaiserwillys.com/vehicle...-filters-parts

Was it moved to make room for something? Shoot a picture of your engine compartment. Lets see what you have there.

Sorry I just got back from out of town work, here is what I have, the Jeep is completely disassembled and I’m in the process of putting it together. 817231F8-32FF-4925-AFC9-703686079F9C.jpgF13D6293-D071-4827-AC3B-FA6CDC3A5B2D.jpg2A3290EA-DAD5-4520-AC7F-D089A952957F.jpg

Well I am sure they had their reasons for moving it. It looks like it will go right back where it's supposed to if you get a bracket and maybe some new lines.

If I put on the original engine oil filter mount will I need to replace the head gasket?