Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 134f total rebuild

Hybrid View

134f total rebuild

When i started my m38a1 restoration project i had in fact wo engines , one with unknown use or mileage and one with reported 15k on speedometer, and was told it had in fact been rebuilt, just sat for long time. Well, long story short i used that in the running m38a1, and one of the reasons was i could see a corner of head gasket, and it was not old original style but new one. Consequently i have a spare motor. Have decided to use local machine shop, one reason for this is they helped me rebuild a little kubota diesel and it is still going strong today
    Have decided to do a total rebuild

rebuild6.jpg rebuild7.jpg rebuild12.jpg PISTON1.jpg ROD BEARING2.jpg

received call yesterday, the head is finished, looking good, and will deliver the bare block to them also

Machine shop has the block, and i was able to pull up all the readings and specs for block, cyl, and crank, hoping that will NOT need new pistons, owner of shop felt crank only needed polish, but he has the specs and i can get quite a variety of rings and bearings...
    The head looks great, got it wrapped in a towel with light coat of oil
    head1.jpghead2.jpg

Don't forget that there is a head bolt under the carburetor throat. It's a little short one. If you leave it out, the engine will almost run, for a little while. Really bad JuJu.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Don't forget that there is a head bolt under the carburetor throat. It's a little short one. If you leave it out, the engine will almost run, for a little while. Really bad JuJu.
    Is this one of those engineering wonders? As, why in the heck did they do this? That would be one of those "Gotch ya" moments for sure lol.

For sure an F134 secret Larry passed along there!

SORT OF HAVE A PLAN
    Since the exh valves leave a pathway for deteriorating cast, and the fix is hardened inserts installed, here is the plan
    My machine shop has the block and they are doing their magic, i will provide them with new stainless valves and inserts, also the correct main and rod bearings, and rings, they will assemble that portion of block, and the most important front and rear main seals ( HAVE DONE THIS ONLY ONCE IN 60 YEARS, SO LET THE GUYS THAT DO IT EVERY DAY DO IT)
    good/bad/ whatcha think

Perfect idea Ira. They have all the new tools and what not to make it happen, with no worries for you. Further they are right there in the machine shop if something needs fixing on assembly.

Right Tools, Right People, Great Job

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    SORT OF HAVE A PLAN ( HAVE DONE THIS ONLY ONCE IN 60 YEARS, SO LET THE GUYS THAT DO IT EVERY DAY DO IT)
    good/bad/ whatcha think
    There are a lot of simple wrench turning jobs we can do on a motor, but other jobs need tools and skills we just don't have access to. It's money well spent to let those people do their job.

I have a request. If you would, keep track of what it costs to rebuild than motor. We have folks ask; "What does it cost to get a Jeep engine rebuilt?" It would be helpful to know what a rebuild costs if someone does the easy work themselves. (Not trying to be snoopy ...).

Looking great! It never hurts to have a spare power plant.

Looks like one cylinder got a little water in it but other than that I think you got material to work with.