Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 134f total rebuild

When you mount the carburetor on top of the head, things like that are apt to happen.

been there and done that with other motor

SORT OF HAVE A PLAN
    Since the exh valves leave a pathway for deteriorating cast, and the fix is hardened inserts installed, here is the plan
    My machine shop has the block and they are doing their magic, i will provide them with new stainless valves and inserts, also the correct main and rod bearings, and rings, they will assemble that portion of block, and the most important front and rear main seals ( HAVE DONE THIS ONLY ONCE IN 60 YEARS, SO LET THE GUYS THAT DO IT EVERY DAY DO IT)
    good/bad/ whatcha think

Perfect idea Ira. They have all the new tools and what not to make it happen, with no worries for you. Further they are right there in the machine shop if something needs fixing on assembly.

Right Tools, Right People, Great Job

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    SORT OF HAVE A PLAN ( HAVE DONE THIS ONLY ONCE IN 60 YEARS, SO LET THE GUYS THAT DO IT EVERY DAY DO IT)
    good/bad/ whatcha think
    There are a lot of simple wrench turning jobs we can do on a motor, but other jobs need tools and skills we just don't have access to. It's money well spent to let those people do their job.

I have a request. If you would, keep track of what it costs to rebuild than motor. We have folks ask; "What does it cost to get a Jeep engine rebuilt?" It would be helpful to know what a rebuild costs if someone does the easy work themselves. (Not trying to be snoopy ...).

have a request. If you would, keep track of what it costs to rebuild than motor. We have folks ask; "What does it cost to get a Jeep engine rebuilt?" It would be helpful to know what a rebuild costs if someone does the easy work themselves. (Not trying to be snoopy ...).

keeping detailed journal

FYI. You'll like this.

There are three of us who have made the trip up to Camp Perry a number of times. One guy is a seven year pancreatic cancer survivor who is about 5-inches short of a full set of innards. Another just had a colostomy reversed - he's about 8-inches short. I'm about a quart low on brains. We decided to try one more trip to National Matches. Between the three, we might make up one complete person.

The 5 inch guy and I plan to shoot the Hearst Doubles, the 8 inch guy and I will try the Sniper and I'll probably shoot the Garand and/or Springfield too.

We probably need our heads examined...

Larry make sure you let me know, We have a place a few miles from there.

won the garand match in 2008, got first gold medal in sniper match great place, heck even got jelo lifted in 2015 due to uncontolled bleeding

My expense journal for rebuild, using straight pages from acct work sheet
    for example i have every single receipt for the m38a1 rebuild, including the cost of the two hulks i used WHERE THE EXTRA MOTOR AND TRANNY CAME FROM)
    total cost for Magoo, $8104.00 (two hulks cost 600.00 for one and 800 for the other one trailer to get one home was 150.00
    Many would say hell could have bought one for less, sure, maybe, but i wanted to do this, and do it right, and believe i did. May 2016 first wrench turned