Thread: New to the Jeep forum and looking forward to it.

New to the Jeep forum and looking forward to it.

Have never joined a forum b/4 and a little nervous about trying to not make a fool of myself. Last September I purchased a 1950 CJ3A to restore. I have done 3 MG's and one Mercedes 450SL over the last 30 years, but still felt I wasn't too old to do at least one more. I choose the Jeep because I had always liked them and I was too old to crawl around a MG any more. This is my first frame off restoration and have loved it ever since I took off the first fender. Have been very fortunate so far to find that the major parts of the drive train have only needed some bearings, seals, gaskets and good cleaning. Started working on the motor this week and my luck may be holding. Looks like all it needs if a valve job and the usual cleaning ect.

Did have a bad frame and located one in Ohio that I will pick up in the spring. Then the fun will start as I try to get many other parts that are missing, bad or wrong. Figure it will take me at least another year, if I stay lucky. Thanks in advance for the help I know I will need.

Dan

Welcome! You have to get in line to make a fool of yourself. A bunch of us get to go first.

I had a 450SL I partially restored. I can tell you my 1950 3A frame off cost a lot less, parts were more available, and in general the mechanical aspect is much more "straight forward" than the German thought process. Compared to the Lucas Electric idea of battery supply, it's a breeze. (Though I do like the toggle switches in an MG!)

450 was a big mistake. MG had 3 screws doing what 6 bolts and 3 other attachments did for the 450. Ended up spending 17K on the restoration. Big mistake. should have done a Jeep.

Welcome Dan!
    We all take turns at being a fool from time to time, so you'll fit right in. There is loads of knowledge and experience between all, so no question is too big or small. There is no such thing as a dumb question either!

Looking forward to your Jeep build!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepvergin View Post
    450 was a big mistake. MG had 3 screws doing what 6 bolts and 3 other attachments did for the 450. Ended up spending 17K on the restoration. Big mistake. should have done a Jeep.
    Haha! I remember thinking to myself after the 450, that I now clearly understood the meaning of "Rube Goldberg Machines".

Welcome to the group.