Thread: Carburetor issues

Carburetor issues

Hi...so I am new to the jeep family. I have a 1946 CJ2A and rebuilt the carburetor. The jeep will sit and idle just fine....when you try to accelerate it spits and sputters and is undriveable. I don't have the gauge to set metering rod. I have tried to adjust it in different positions and doesn't seen to make a difference. I am at my wits end on what the problem might be. Any advise would be appreciated.

P.S. It is a Carter W-O carburetor.

Big Dean
    Swanton, Ohio

Big Dean, It sounds like the main circuit is plugged. How does it act with some choke? If it stumbles and falls but then begins to go it could be the accelerator pump circuit. Give it a try with a little choke and see how it acts.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-26-2020 at 05:48 PM.

With the choke open (engine off) look into the carb and operate the throttle. You should see a small stream of gas squirt into the throat of the carb. If you do the accelerator pump is working. The accelerator pump gives a small squirt of gas to get the vehicle going (from a standstill or while accelerating) until gas from the metering rod catches up with demand.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/media/w...-Install_1.pdf

Phil
    Last edited by pdudleystl; 02-26-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Accelerator pump sprays gas...tried a little choke and it didn't seem to make a difference. Could it be something other than the carburetor, possibly the fuel pump. Fuel pump glass bowl doesn't fill completely up when running.

Once the float bowl in the carb fills, it would run then starve out if the fuel pump was just getting weak. You would expect trouble under higher speeds and loads at first if you were losing the pump. It could certainly be something else. Is it backfiring? If it is, is it through the exhaust or the carb? Try a little more choke. It should pull a lot of fuel through the main circuit with the choke on. If it doesn't seem like it is getting too much fuel when you are approaching 3/4 choke, the main circuit is suspect.

If the motor is idling, can you rev it? Will it run up in the RPM's in neutral under no load without misfiring? We are looking to see if it is engine load/speed related. Are you able to check the timing? If you can check it several times, and see if it is drifting radically indicating distributor trouble.

If it is idling well, I am wondering about that high speed circuit. I am thinking the carb needs another look. Drop me a PM. Maybe we can take a look together. I have an old Sprint Car buddy out that way I need to stop out and see.

I believe to be a good mechanic as I retired as a heavy equipment operator from the state of ohio and drag raced harleys in the 1/4 mile for 10+ years. Thank you everyone for your advise but I made a simply mistake that took me a bit to figure out and well....I had the spark wire #2 and #3 backwards. Runs great now and I am beside myself on how it runs and looks!!! Thanks again!!

Good to hear Big Dean! It was indeed "something else". Crossed wires happens to everyone.

If you get three of them in the right place, it is easy to get the fourth.

1, 3, 4, then 2

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dean View Post
    I believe to be a good mechanic as I retired as a heavy equipment operator from the state of ohio and drag raced harleys in the 1/4 mile for 10+ years. Thank you everyone for your advise but I made a simply mistake that took me a bit to figure out and well....I had the spark wire #2 and #3 backwards. Runs great now and I am beside myself on how it runs and looks!!! Thanks again!!
    If that is the worst mistake you make, you won't even make the honorable mention list in this bunch! We're glad it was that simple.