Thread: Emergency Brake

Emergency Brake

Just completed the emergency brake setup on D18 transfer case. The drum turns very hard even though the adjustment stars are bottomed out. All parts including shoes are new. Will there be some immediate wear after driving? Thanks

Somethings not right there. You should be able to back the shoes off completely. There should be good clearance when running. You do not want to heat up the E-Brake. It can ruin the yoke seal. I would pull it on hard and set the shoes. Then see if you can back them off. Something must be awry.

The problem was the left shoe spring. I had it in front of the tab instead of the back. Problem solved. Companion flange nut torqued to 220 and spinning freely. Thanks all for your time!

Awesome! Good tip to watch out for.

If the instructions say to put Tab B through slot G, I will usually put it through Slot F.

Pelago is fighting an E-brake issue on his M38A1 - but a different brake altogether.

I just re-viewed the video from KW on e-brake assembly. It confirmed with me the set-up was wrong. When the person installed the spring, it was set in front of the tab. It's on KW. I've finally come to the conclusion that KW makes things look a lot easier than the real world. Fortunately at the end of the day I have a few more references ( books and you folks) to place my total trust. Thanks again for time and help from all.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfireguy View Post
    I've finally come to the conclusion that KW makes things look a lot easier than the real world
    I love the people at KW. Great place, great parts, great policy's, their videos on the other hand... A bit on the "quick" side.

It's like watching Larry from Midway USA work on guns. Everything goes together the first time, he never strips a screw, breaks a tap and only needs one or two strokes of a file to get it just right.

Larry Potterfield is awesome! He definitely works in a surreal world. He relines barrels on TV like he's taking a stroll in the park. And the man has the biggest lathe you will ever need in a gun shop.