Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 months in

17 months in

And a long way to go on what will be essentially a brand new 51 Cj3a. The completed running engine with 12 volt converted original generator and rebuilt foot activated starter is due any day. Will complete front end and exhaust before taking a summer break to play with my 63 Buick. My goal is 5 years max to completion.
    Thanks for looking
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

a word of caution. the factory ehaust i purchased from kaiser will need to be adjusted. from the header manifold it attaches to the two piece til and muffler section, when i put mine in it touches the linkage for the clutch and the brake arm, actually touches it, this bothers me. and i will take it to a muffler shop and have it adjusted, needs to be bent and re attached and i dont have the skills or tools to do that, but have a friend who is a pro at this will do it.. true lots of air flow, but it just bothers me that they touch, and it probably will cook all the grease out of the fitting that is in there... but you are where i was three years ago

a photo of frame.jpg

primer frame.jpg engine in1.jpg
    nearly four years ago this may i started mine and when i started it said to myself this is one bolt at time, so true

if you look at the picture of the engine in frame you can see the clutch arm that is the junction that meets the short manifold pipe, just thought you might be interested in that
    Last edited by pelago; 03-22-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Truth be told, I am no longer buy critical fit components from KW. I have had many fit and quality issues and have in fact replaced or not even used many parts from them. I now buy from a supplier recommended to me buy the man building my engine, who, along with the supplier, are dedicated vintage Jeep people. The new supplier has an unbelievably amount of NOS parts, which I buy at every opportunity. That includes the exhaust, which I’m buying shortly. Thanks for the heads up though, I’ll look for that issue.
    So where are you with your project? What year is it? Did you save the body? Inquiring minds need to know! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Toms51 View Post
    Truth be told, I am no longer buy critical fit components from KW. I have had many fit and quality issues and have in fact replaced or not even used many parts from them. I now buy from a supplier recommended to me buy the man building my engine, who, along with the supplier, are dedicated vintage Jeep people. The new supplier has an unbelievably amount of NOS parts, which I buy at every opportunity. That includes the exhaust, which I’m buying shortly. Thanks for the heads up though, I’ll look for that issue.
    So where are you with your project? What year is it? Did you save the body? Inquiring minds need to know! ��
    would your supplier have windshield wiper motors

1952 M38A1
    veterans day.jpg

These Jeeps are a great time Tom. An excellent way to keep your skills sharp!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wiper motors

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    would your supplier have windshield wiper motors

1952 M38A1
    veterans day.jpg
    Yes, he does. Text or call me at 978-995-7969

I agree, for me it’s a great way to keep my brain busy. (Dementia scares me more than death) I still work and do many things with my wife of 32 years. I am learning with the Jeep and I am always curious about anything mechanical, learning new things all the time. My 63 buick and now an 80’ chevy c10 keep me going every day. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Toms51 View Post
    Tom, the most read Thread we have! https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...n-thing-is-out

I love this place. Feel the same way. Trust your mechanic, etc. I blinked and I'm a year plus into this. Taking the wife out for ice cream tomorrow, and her sitting on a bench seat. Thrill of the week!

A couple was riding down the road in their Jeep truck (with a bench seat). Wife says "Honey, when we were young we didn't sit this far part in the truck." Husband says "Well, I haven't moved."

I call the wide side of the split seat in the '48 the "C'mere Dear" seat. You put your arm around your wife and say "C'mere Dear".